CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: First time boat buying
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: First time boat buying Reply with quote

Alright guys and gals,

I've been looking to purchase a boat for some time now. Looking for a 17-20ft center console that I can take out in the sound and in the rivers....budget is 10g's and under.

Now I'm completely new to boating and don't know much so I am looking for some pointers. What are some key things I should be looking for? What is considered too many hours for a 2 stroke or 4 stroke? What can I realistically expect for my price range?

All pointers are appreciated!
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going to spend 10K on a boat, spend a bit to have a mechanic check it out. An on the water test run is ideal. Last year on my 2-3 voyage out I ended up towing a group to shore who were dead and anchored in the middle of the CT. It was their first trip in their newly purchased used boat, and the wife was ready to sell. I was probably the last one on the water and they frantically waved me down as they also had no cell reception. Look at the small things that the owner does as far as maintaining the boat (no leaky, cracked hoses, filthy gunk build up or rust under the hood, etc.). Attention to detail can tell you a lot about how the previous owner maintained the boat. The wiring should be clean and free of corrosion on the boat and trailer. I had to rewire my last trailer, but that was OK as I considered this ahead of time (and one of my fishing partners is an electrician). Think about your budget for maintain and operating your boat. I run an 18ft. skiff with a 75 E-Tec, and a day on the water including towing and boat fuel (I may run from Stonington to Point Judith and burn 15 gallons) is going to be about $100. Sea Tow or BoatsUS is a must if you're in the Sound, especially with an older boat. You can expect various routine maintenance costs, just as you would a car, especially if you're running in salt. What I always get back to is the outboard. It's the most expensive part on the boat by far, and not being a mechanic myself, I would definitely rely on a mechanic I brought to go through everything. This being said, good luck in getting your boat!!!
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redneckangler wrote:
If your going to spend 10K on a boat, spend a bit to have a mechanic check it out. An on the water test run is ideal. Last year on my 2-3 voyage out I ended up towing a group to shore who were dead and anchored in the middle of the CT. It was their first trip in their newly purchased used boat, and the wife was ready to sell. I was probably the last one on the water and they frantically waved me down as they also had no cell reception. Look at the small things that the owner does as far as maintaining the boat (no leaky, cracked hoses, filthy gunk build up or rust under the hood, etc.). Attention to detail can tell you a lot about how the previous owner maintained the boat. The wiring should be clean and free of corrosion on the boat and trailer. I had to rewire my last trailer, but that was OK as I considered this ahead of time (and one of my fishing partners is an electrician). Think about your budget for maintain and operating your boat. I run an 18ft. skiff with a 75 E-Tec, and a day on the water including towing and boat fuel (I may run from Stonington to Point Judith and burn 15 gallons) is going to be about $100. Sea Tow or BoatsUS is a must if you're in the Sound, especially with an older boat. You can expect various routine maintenance costs, just as you would a car, especially if you're running in salt. What I always get back to is the outboard. It's the most expensive part on the boat by far, and not being a mechanic myself, I would definitely rely on a mechanic I brought to go through everything. This being said, good luck in getting your boat!!!

Thanks for all the tips!! I will definitely bring someone with me that is seasoned with boats.
ripline

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no perfect boat. Some are better than others but all have pros and cons.

When you say river do you mean the shallows or main river channels only? I ask because I never run a fiberglass boat in the river, that is why I have an aluminum as well. If you will run shallow then look at some aluminum hulls. There are some nice ones out there that can handle the sound as well. Sylvan, G3, Lowe are just a few examples of boats that will serve you well.

If banging off of the rocks is not in your plans then a skiff or bay boat is what you should look for. I have a 16' Maritime Skiff with a 70 4 stroke and absolutely love it for the sound. It has fished the breachways in RI, been around Fishers Island and fished The Gut and the Sluiceway plenty of times...very seaworthy. This boat/motor sips gas ( seaworthy and economical the pros) but is NOT a smooth ride when the seas kick up (losing teeth is the con). For me, this is as perfect a boat as there is. Easily trailerable, effortless 1 man launch, and plenty of room to fish with no frills.

As perfect as that boat is, I still have a tracker for rivers and lakes though I could easily use the skiff. I'm just not that careful when striper fishing in the Hous or piking in the CT. I'd rather fish hard than be careful and bouncing off a rock or two to catch a fish is worth it and tin boats can handle it.

Other info

Maritime 16'9" 70hp 4 stroke top speed is about 32mph 1 person LOTS of gear.

Tracker 16 40hp 2 stroke top speed about 30mph 1 person and full gear.

Good luck with your search
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that you've tried fishing from different styles of boats already. If you're considering an aluminum hulled center console, you should check out Xpress Boats. But good luck finding one for under $10,000. Wink

Whatever hull you choose, I highly recommend that you get a Yamaha four-stroke outboard motor. Any decent boat yard would be able to hook it up to a diagnostic laptop before you buy it, which would tell you the number of hours and any error codes, but I also highly recommend Cabela's Power Sports Service Center, which is located a couple of miles away from the Cabela's retail store in East Hartford. The guys who work there are paid by Cabela's, so they have no reason to gouge you. They're very helpful and a great source of information, even if you do your own work. The telephone number is 860-290-6222.

For fishing in the rivers and The Sound, I also recommend getting a Humminbird fish finder with GPS and a MinnKota iPilot trolling motor. GPS helps you navigate. I love how it shows you where the channels are supposed to be in our sometimes shallow rivers. A 24 volt trolling motor is fine for the rivers, but you might need a 36 volt motor for The Sound.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Ripline mentioned, aluminum will give you versatile river and near shore sound options, though I'm not sure you'll find much in a cc configuration. You'll probably see a lot of 17' range boats with side consoles. Something like this in a V hull can take you quite a few places both fresh and salt. You can also find a number of skiffs. I'm also a big fan of Maritime, but I ended up going with the Triumph skiff due to the nearly indestructible hull. I've run it over and into lots of things that would have gouged the hell out of glass. There are quite a few used Carolinas around as well. Good luck!
Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, so much useful info. I've fished from a few different style boats before....I don't really plan on going into the shallows of rivers but an aluminum one might be worth a look just to have more versatility. If I had to spend a little over 10k to get the "one" I would.

I have a feeling this will be a long hunt Smile
Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a ton more research I think I've narrowed down the style I'd want. I'd stick with a fiberglass and more of a bay hull. I want something that can handle the choppy water a bit better if needed.

I also saw this style of boat that would interest me....they seem a bit overpriced though, especially the first one.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2000-Hydasport-180-C-C-102111467

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2004-Hydra-Sports-170-Seahorse-CC-102098492

Judging by how long it takes me to buy cars, this is going to be a long journey.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, that's a dealer wish price. The marinas want to unload used boats. Norwest Marine that has the Hydrasport in Norwalk also has a Wahoo listed. The Wahoo was a really nice unsinkable hull design made by a company down in VA. I'm familiar with them because we bought a boat from the guy that designed them back in the 80's. Worth a look if it's in good shape. I saw a 17' Key West w/ a Honda 90 listed at Atlantic Outboards as well. I love looking at boats!

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1994-Wahoo-1850-SPORTFISH-102094471
anointed130

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying your first boat is a great feeling, hope you find the right one. I will echo Phil on the outboard Yamaha they are great. And Cabelas are very knowledgable I almost bought my boat from them but decided to get a used.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, used is the way to go. Boats are a very quickly deteriorating asset. There are plenty of new boat buyers out there with buyer's remorse or who can't justify keeping their boats because they can't or simply don't use them enough.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp, I put a deposit on a boat today! Purchase is pending once I get it double checked by a surveyor.

I'll keep ya'll posted with some pics once I bring it home *fingers crossed*
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! Hopefully see you out in the LIS this year. Don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions about running around out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: