CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: First time drop shotting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
usnavybro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: First time drop shotting Reply with quote

So after about 3 or 4 outings and not catching a single bass, I decided to depart from the trusted Texas rigged senko or brush hog and try drop shotting. It took me a while, I almost never change my tactics, to take up the advice of the numerous articles about it. Went to Cabelas, picked up the drop shot weights and hooks, and these crazy lookin' Roboworms... Jeez I was missing out... Got a real fat smallie on my first cast before the thing even hit the bottom. I got 5 more before I had to go in 2 hours later. Most of them bit before the thing even hit bottom. Looks like I'll be using this rig from now on haha
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I finally got some confidence in the drop shot this year, too. Go to Walmart and pick up some Gulp minnows. Hook them through the lips from the bottom like you would a shiner and start pulling up smallies.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My go to/favorite method for bass to conquer the sometimes mind numbing summer doldrums. Go pick up some Berkely finesse hand poured worms in 4" size in watermelon magic red flake color, readily available at Dicks. Have you ever tried a shot at shakey head worm fishing? Another awesome summer finesse technique.
usnavybro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I love this, got 3 more today. 2 fish in 2 casts, no lie haha I'll be sure to try the Berkley worm, but this 4.5" baby bass straight tail roboworm is killin 'em. CT_BASSman, I've heard of it and I'm interested, I just don't know enough to try it. I know you get a shakey jig head and some kind of plastic but thats about all I know...
CaptainHookset

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drop shot is EASILY my favorite presentation, and by FAR my most productive. The best part of dropshotting is that as you get more comfortable and skilled in using it, you can really tailor it to fit any situation on the water that you may run into. Drop Shotting works awesome pre-spawn, during the spawn on beds, and in the heat of the summer in deep water.

What I would STRONGLY urge you to do is to go to tacklewarehouse.com and get yourself some Roboworm REBARB hooks, small ones...the smallest ones they have in stock...I would recommend either 1 or 1/0's. Then you can texas rig your dropshot worms/craws!! I have learned that the dropshot can be a GREAT weedless presentation when you are fishing grassy areas...just as long as you make some changes. Instead of a normal dropshot/octopus/mosquito hook, use that Roboworm hook AND get yourself some pencil dropshot weights.

The best all around weight I have found is made by "Quick Drops". The best part is that they come in packs of 12 or 15 and are the same price as all the competitors, which only come in packs of 6 or 8. They are a hybrid tear shape, so its a mix of pencil and round. They are my go-to weight unless I am fishing in a heavily grassy area, in which case I use the above mentioned pencil weight. Lunker City makes an awesome pencil weight, and are located right in Meriden, so support your local tackle company!

Everyone has their own personal favorite bait that works best for them, so experiment until you find what you like the best. My personal favorites are the Zman Elaztech finesse worms, in 4" and 7". Strike King also makes an Elaztech finesse worm, which is nearly identical and works just as well. The best part of these worms are that they float, and they refuse to tear. You can use one worm and catch fish all day and maybe have to change once or twice. You can also wacky rig them on the drop shot, which is also super deadly...fish don't often see a wacky rig in 20 FOW,

Other plastics that produce for me are:

Jackall Cross Tail Shad
Strike King BABY Rage Craw
Kietiech Fat Impact 2.8"
Yamamoto Pro Senko

Enjoy your newfound love!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: