CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: First time using the Wacky Rig Properly Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surefishing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: First time using the Wacky Rig Properly Reply with quote

Where has this been all my life?

I hit my sweet-shore spot today because my iphone says that the position of the new moon lined up well with dusk to produce good fishing. So I figured 630- 8ish....

I walked out 10 feet or so into the muck and weeds was using yum watermelon candy coloured dingers and my light action pole (4lb test) and I don't think I had this much fun fishing in a while.

Second cast I nail a 15" LMB that fights good. 4th cast I nail an 11" LMB.

BUT I ONLY BROUGHT 2 watermelon candy dingers and both were destroyed. Yup, I ordered the O-ring LOL

So I went to bumblebee colored, junebug and even a pink senko. I found out that sunfish think the pink bubblegum senko is a worm and like to go after it. None of them produced but the bumblebee color has been sucessful there in the past.

So I wacky rig a black senko as the light is beginning to fade and about a half hour after my first two fish I get a large bass (looks 2lbish) but about 8 feet in front of me it heads for some thick weeds but I don't let it then it jumps out of the water and spits the worm at me. I was going to release it anyway so that counts right? LOL

I fish for a little while longer, I get a few hits that could be fish or weeds but then a half hour later on my last cast I nail a 15" largemouth in the same spot I lost the other one. I think it might be the same fish but it was fatter than the first one I caught.

3 LMB (2 @ 15") and a lost good one in 90 minutes is like fishing heaven for me.

Next time I go out I am wacky rigging it and bringing the whole bag of watermelon candy yumdingers..... Oh yeah and 4lb test is the WAY TO GO. If I had my pole with 15lb braid it wouldn't have been half as fun...
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landing lots of fish in a short period of time never gets old to me. Congratulations on a fun outing. But I think that 15 pound braid would have been just as much fun. I can't stand the way mono stretches so much.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a fun outing. If you fish wacky worms without O-rings, you can expect to need more than a few baits. My latest outing, I used 1 senko!!!! I caught 5 LMB between 1-2 lbs and I could have used the bait some more. Before I used O-rings in FL, I would go through 1 or 2 bags in one trip! I use 8 lb mono with my wacky rig. I want to start using braid.

PECo - I would like to hook up with you one day. It seems like you have a blast when you get out. My schedule is all f***ed up though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the o-ring rig. I fished a couple of weeks ago and caught over 30 bass on 1 senko. I had to switch the bait because it got so torn up it fell apart in my hands after 30+

SF - glad to hear you had a good time.
surefishing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Landing lots of fish in a short period of time never gets old to me. Congratulations on a fun outing. But I think that 15 pound braid would have been just as much fun. I can't stand the way mono stretches so much.

Braid's lack of stretch may make the movements of the worm easier to control for wacky rigging.I remember when I first switched to braid last year. I was dragging some lures across the water at first lol.

I'll use braid or mono but I think for me that with 4lb test a 2lb bass has at least a chance of breaking the line or running into some vegetation that will cause me to go for a swim. With 15lb test I am just tying overhand knots, don't really need drag and I can just pull anything in. Though admittedly, I caught a 5lb 13 oz baass there last year with 8lb mono and when all was said and done, I held the lure and gave the line the lightest tug and it came undone. Reeling in that fish with 4lb test would have been hell.

I don't know what I'm really saying. I just think its nice to use light tackle sometimes but of course each fisherperson has their own preference Smile
surefishing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BassRican wrote:
Sounds like a fun outing. If you fish wacky worms without O-rings, you can expect to need more than a few baits. My latest outing, I used 1 senko!!!! I caught 5 LMB between 1-2 lbs and I could have used the bait some more. Before I used O-rings in FL, I would go through 1 or 2 bags in one trip! I use 8 lb mono with my wacky rig. I want to start using braid.

PECo - I would like to hook up with you one day. It seems like you have a blast when you get out. My schedule is all f***ed up though.

DirtyDawg10 wrote:
I agree with the o-ring rig. I fished a couple of weeks ago and caught over 30 bass on 1 senko. I had to switch the bait because it got so torn up it fell apart in my hands after 30+

SF - glad to hear you had a good time.

Wow, so those O-Rings are working good then! I first heard about them somewhere on this forum and I ordered some from Cabellas online a few days ago and I also paid $6 for the o-ring "tool" not realizing I could just use half of a ball point pen to do the same for 30 cents Very Happy

I think I need to get some better hooks though. All my good hooks are offset rubber worm hooks or twist-locks.

DirtyDawg, how long were you on the water to catch 30 bass? Shocked
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember how long it took me but I ended up catching 41 that day. Nothing above 1.5lbs though. There is a thread on here somewhere about that trip. Lake Basile under Lake Reports.

PECo (Phil) talked me into using the gamakatsu #4 octopus circle hooks and I am "hooked" on them. The are great for the wacky rig. I also found that instead of buying the tool...if I take the o-ring and put it over the tip of my needle nose fishing pliers and open the pliers then I can just thread the worm through no problem.
surefishing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found it. Wow, you guys hammered them. Nice! Love the photoshopped pic Lol
surefishing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PECo (Phil) talked me into using the gamakatsu #4 octopus circle hooks

Holy sh*t. They are $3 a hook at cabellas.....I thought the twist locks for $1-1.50 were expensive Shocked
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they're $7.99 for 25:

http://m.cabelas.com/cabelas/product/detail.do?itemId=702793&path=Gamakatsu%20Octopus%20Circle%20Hooks%20–%20Per%2025

They sell them in smaller quantities, too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I ordered some from bassproshops today.

Wacky tool is a waste of $6 lol

surefishing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm losing a lot of fish with these octopus hooks. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I'm going back to the simple eagle claw rubber worm hook I was using before.
slim2043

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to post a pic of what I'm using.

I use owner's wacky weedless 1/0 hooks for wacky rigging and I also take heat shrink tubing and cut it into 1/4 to 1/2" pieces and shrink it with a lighter around the smooth part of the worm and put my hook through that so the presentation is still with the hook through the bait and I can use the same worm for quite a few hookups before it is busted up. You can get the heat shrink tubing at home depot in the electrical department for a couple bucks and one pouch will last you quite a while and save a ton of $$$ on Senkos.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had any problems losing fish with the circle hooks. Sure I get one every once in a while but that's the same with any hook.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the O-ring tool for the first time a couple of weeks ago and love it, mostly because it stores the O-rings, too. I think it's worth the cost.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: