CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: Fish FInder in the Yak Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AVec80X

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Fish FInder in the Yak Reply with quote

Looking for some fish finder input from fellow kayak fisherman out there. I know nothing about them, other than stuff I've read on the net. Any one model more kayak friendly than the next? Are they really worth the $$$?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an elite 4x by lowrance and I bought it for the ice but I heard its mainly for kayaks so I'm gonna try it out.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 boats and am used to using electronics when fish. So when I picked up a kayak, as much as I enjoyed it I was lost without electronics. I didn't need anything fancy but wanted to know the depth, if there was structure under me, where the weed lines were, where the drop offs were, etc.

This was the cheapest one I found and it fits my needs just fine.
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-00950-00-echo-100-Fishfinder/dp/B004FKP1XM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1396138526&sr=8-4&keywords=garmin+fishfinder

You can go as basic as this or get whatever you desire but I found I personally can't fish without one. Go to youtube and look up mounting one too, I fabricated a console using a cutting board from walmart that cost me just a few dollars.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO,..it depends on the kind of fishing that you do, but at the least you want one so you can tell how deep it is where you are fishing. You might be 100 yds from shore and some places will be 3 feet deep, whereas others will be 100 feet deep,...it's pretty helpful to your fishing to know which spots are which!!
It is also very handy to have gps built into the unit so you can mark a good spot that is offshore a little and get back to it in the future.
Sure you can go out in a yak without electronics and just fish the visible structure along the shoreline,.. But it just expands your chances of getting on fish tremendously (especially for daytime fishing...) when you can see where the humps, drop offs , rock piles, etc are!

I am talking mainly saltwater here though,...if you are strictly freshwater, you can probably fish almost as well without any electronics by concentrating on the visible weeds and shoreline structure,..in freshwater, there are a lot of fish there, close to shore. In saltwater though,..there are very few fish close to shore during the daytime......just my $.02

As far as models go,..I have a Humminbird 597 combo with both sonar and GPS...the key reason why I bought it was that at that time Humminbirds had a quick disconnect feature where you could easily disconnect the unit from its mounting base without having to mess with any wires. At the time they were the only brand that had it,...now some other brands like Lowrance also offer that kind of mounting feature,...for me, I would not buy one for a kayak without it!
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Lowrance X4 Pro

I was looking for something inexpensive that still had good readings (depth, temp, weeds, fish, rocks, etc) and would best fit somebody fishing in smaller lakes and ponds and saltwater near shore (depth).
AVec80X

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated!

Anybody have any experience with the Humminbird Fishin Buddy line?
I often times fish from our off-shore raft or a paddle boat when out at our cottage at Bashan Lake. I like the versatility of these units, appears I can take it with me anywhere, though it would require some kind of side arm to be fabricated to mount it to the kayak. Just a thought...

http://www.humminbird.com/Freshwater/Product-Category/Fishin-Buddy/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you guys use for power on kayaks for these?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVec80X wrote:

Anybody have any experience with the Humminbird Fishin Buddy line?

I used to have a Bottom Line Fishin Buddy II several years ago and it was functional and very portable, it might be just right for your multiple needs. The Humminbirds have to be a whole lot better than that one was, they are not fancy but serve a purpose.

Rookie wrote:

I have a Cabelas battery, the same one use on my ice flasher. You can also get one at an electrical supply house, maybe Home Depot... 12 V emergency exit light batteries I think they are.
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:

I have a wholesale battery holder that can hold 8 AA batteries and has a wire sticking out to connect it with the wire from the fish finder.

I keep the battery holder in a small plastic container covered. Drill or poke a hole big enough on the side of the container so you can connect the wires. In order to connect the wires, get those small plastic caps used for twisting wires together.

Batteries I use are rechargeable Duracell.
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The least expensive Humminbird color fish finder with GPS is the PiranhaMAX 196ci, which I think is perfect for a kayak. You should be able to find one for well under $200. You'd also have the option of mounting the transducer inside the hull of your kayak. Battery-wise, the Cabela's 12 volt, 8.0 Ah battery works great.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ripline, can you maybe post a link on what you did with that cutting board? Im just about to install my transducer and am trying to learn as many methods as I can.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 12v Battery from a Cordless DeWalt drill to power my Humminbird. Works well , it's small and I can recharge it easly. - Duncan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky2002S wrote:
Ripline, can you maybe post a link on what you did with that cutting board? Im just about to install my transducer and am trying to learn as many methods as I can.

Marky2002s the console was for mounting the head unit on a sit in kayak. The transducer from the unit I mentioned above shoots through the hull as long as there is a little water under it.

Here is a youtube link to the console.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxABiFC3Nyk
Marky2002S

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for the info.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a portable fishfinder that uses a suction cup for the transducer, so I can stick to the side of the yak. But I sold my yak now I have no use:(

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: