CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fishing Tournaments
Viewing Topic: Fish mortality issues Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeHoncho

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Fish mortality issues Reply with quote

Has anyone experienced post weigh-in mortality issues lately? We have a night club tournament coming up on Candlewood. Last year, around this time, we used a three fish limit with great success. I'm trying to determine if it would be a good idea once again.......
Justin Tralli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 fish is a great idea

CT RIVER
Every Tuesday Night @ 5 p.m.
EAST HARTFORD LAUNCH
$10 Per Person
Winner Take All!
flippy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, a 3 fish limit is great for a night tourny, the largemouth have no problem with 80 degree temps but the smallies WILL DIE, what I do is carry a cooler with frozen bottles of water and add 1 bottle every time one melts, which is pretty often and keep your pumps running constantly, also I add Catch and Release powder to keep the stress at a minimum. dont forget your boat is pulling water from the surface which is very warm. GOOD LUCK.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flippy, Steve and I go 1 step further. We freeze 1 liter bottles of pre mixed water with the rejuvinade already in it. So it is a time release application (so to speak) when the summer water temps are high. We just drop 1 bottle in every 1.5 hours or so, and have never lost a fish with this method.

But I agree, a 3 fish limit is the way to go with the summer water temps, especially when smallies are in the mix.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you pay attention to your fish and dont gut hook any of them your good to go.

Any of the methods above work. Keep it recirculating or refreshing with new water. Treat the water, and ice help. Dont lower it more then 5 degrees theres been a bunch of articles about how it can kill bass.

Its not a summer thing. I see just as many dead fish in spring/fall/winter. Its neglect.
Tmac

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree summer is far worse on fish,my tournys in spring and fall have great release ratios after a tourny,summer always has floaters after a tourny, it is a must to bring frozen bottles on board if you want to give your fish a chance in summer also make it a point to check on them every 45 min-60 min
slimecoat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Tmac, summer is always much worse for the bass with the warmer water temps. I have seen some spring spawn tournaments with a dead fish here or there over the years. More due to stress from spawning, not from high water temps. The summer months are far worse on the bass. Pointing Dog and I go to great lenths to keep our fish alive and healthy when it's hot.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is that if people would care more- you dont get dead fish.

How does gary hardly ever wiegh ina dead fish? Me? Yet someone else wieghs in a few every T? Great example was mike s. gary. The guy had a dead fish (or more) in every t we did.

A gut hooked fish- nothing you can do about it. But the fish that roll over in your livewell are usually do to operator error.
MikeHoncho

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just curious about whether there were any mortality issues similar to last year on Candlewood. Our club does an outstanding job at keeping its catch alive and well. The three fish limit of last year was only imposed in response to our learning about other C-Wood night tournaments having problems in that department. Thanks.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my knowledge Mike S. has never weighed in a dead fish except at the East Twin tournament when he had a major battery malfunction with his entire boat. He had to get a jump start from another boat on the water to get back to the weigh in. sometimes shit happens and you can't help it. I agree, I would have done things differently, like stop fishing early and get a good battery at the marina, or something.

But If he weighed in dead fish in every tournament, he wouldn't be in contention for first place right behind us now would he. Cool

WOW Nick, you sure are quick to point fingers before you know the whole story, or his club history. Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ least now i know im not the only one who got that vibe Neutral
Nickp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. Thought he had a dead 3-4lber at highland too.
emptylakebassman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick that was Mike B not MIke S. He just bought new batteries also.
Pointingdog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and man...did I have a winner of a dead fish at East Twin. I think I did that poor thing a favor! That ol boy had cancer cells, mites, torn fins, one eye, and other problems that are to sensitive to mention on this forum!

All that said, I think if you take the time and funds, a successful weigh-in of many fish can be possible, it just takes conscious care, I think....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw on tacklewarehouse.com a cooling system for your livewells. similar to a radiator system in your car. says it will lower water temp in livewell up to 10 degrees and keep it there. pretty cool but i wonder how tested it is.

on the other hand i have yet to weight in a dead fish. keep your live wells running, throw a few frozen bottles of water in during the day and your good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fishing Tournaments All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: