CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Fishfinders for row boat, canoe or kayaks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigEd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Fishfinders for row boat, canoe or kayaks Reply with quote

I just picked up a nice 12' aluminum v hull and will be throwing an electric trolling motor on it for this season. I would also like to rig it with a fish finder. I was wondering what you guys were using for fish finder brands and models on your small boats, how you like them, and what features you find the most desirable? I see hummingbird has the fishin' buddy series that clamps to the rail with the transducer on a pole and is very portable. I like the looks of it but wonder if I should get something larger that has some more features. They make transducer brackets that I can hang over the transom so whatever way I go I am trying to avoid drilling into the boat. Any input is appreciated!
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed,

I have a (new to market) "Garmin echo 300c" fish finder.
This is a color finder that is small portable and I love it.
Cost was around $200.00

Google up Garmin and look for "echo 300c" then read the specs.
Has some super built in apps.
For me, it has all I could want in a fish finder and easy to use!

Got mine from
www.sailsmarine.com
They're a Ct. based internet company.
Just type in "echo 300c" in the search box.

SeaDog1
Fisherman100

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Fish finder Reply with quote

Yeah, im using a humminbird fish finder this year i had it for 5 years still works. I got two one for my 16ft boat and my 12ft
Facebook.com/LorenzoNReyes
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Humminbird 385ci Combo that used to be sold as part of a kit for use in a kayak. I have the transducer mounted inside the polyethylene hull of my Hobie Pro Angler. I power it with a small 12 v, 8 Ah battery that usually lasts more than two full days on the water.

I like the 385ci a lot, although I definitely don't use it to its fullest potential. If your aluminum V-hull doesn't have much instrumentation, the 385ci might be a good choice for you. It has a temperature probe in the transducer. It also has a built-in GPS, so it provides an accurate reading of your speed. However, the GPS comes pre-loaded with only the most basic of maps. I've been out of sight of the shore while in my Hobie on only one occasion, when I was the only boat on Batterson Park Pond during a whiteout fog, so mapping accuracy hasn't been an issue for me. But with better maps, you could use it to map and store waypoints and tracks, which might be useful to you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many things you can buy or do, it's all about your personal preference.

If you want to make it portable, you can attach the transducer to just about anything and clamp it to the boat, I used a piece of pvc for a while. A more permanent setup would be to attach it to the trolling motor, it can be done with zip ties.

For the ff are you looking for color or mono? I found the best bang for the buck with monochrome was the Eagle line. The 320's were very good and 480 even better (it's all about the pixels). I've had one for several years and it still works like a charm. After upgrading I now have it attached to the trolling motor on my tracker. I'm even using the transom mount just zip tied. Whatever you get, be sure you get 320 pixels or more if it is in your price range.

Color is a whole new game though and it's all about cost. I have an Eagle 480 combo color and it is OK but not great. The Humminbird I have on the salt boat is just awesome and is the way to go if you can find one within your budget.

What kind of trolling motor?
BigEd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys! This is going to be a small pond & lake boat only, nothing used on bigger lakes and I doubt I will ever be out of sight from shore in this one. It's something to throw in the truck or possibly trailer (if I decide to buy one) to some of the areas I can launch it at. It's a 1967 Duratech that I just got and am restoring and modifying some. I ordered a Minn Kota Endura C2 50 lb thrust motor for it. I have seen several set ups where the transducer was rigged to the motor. The only thing I would need is that it would be removable after each use. I would be happy with a grayscale screen but I have seen a few color ones for under $300. I plan on making this portable, either using a RAM mount system or clamp on type of bracket. There are plenty of options to hang the transducer without drilling the vintage metal. I can even fabricate something that can mount the finder and hang the transducer off the side. The Hummingbird Fishin' Buddy series does this and it's a pretty slick setup. Mounting isn't really the issue, just trying to nail down what I really need for the finder itself. I've found that some of the manufacturers websites don't really explain all the features very well so that's why I wanted to see what you guys like about yours. One thing I would like is something that indicates the hardness of the lake bed and the temperature would also be a great tool. If I am fishing unknown areas I think it would be useful to know if you are on rock or sand/mud or a weed bed.
BigEd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys, I think I have talked myself into getting a Lowrance Elite 4X DSI. They look pretty sweet and seem to have everything I can use without being overkill.
ripline

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That unit should do you just fine. The 320x240 color pixels will give you plenty of detail for your needs. Just think about the screen size before you buy, my eyes are not that good and the bigger the better for me!

I asked about the type of troller because you can turn the heads on most transom mount Minn Kota motors to pull you instead of push you if that is your preference.

Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: