CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Fishing a jig.....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gecabert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Fishing a jig..... Reply with quote

So at the start of the season I decided that this year, would be the year of the jig for me..... I placed a large order with Bass Pro, got a bunch of different colors, different styles, different trailers... And to date, I haven't caught a single thing on them....

I'm new to baitcasting equipment, and I'm still practicing on pitching and flipping, which may be most of my problem. I've set up a bucket in the driveway and practiced with trying to drop the jig in the bucket.

If anyone has any advice, links to online videos, or available for some one-on-one training, I'd really appreciate it.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've struck out with jigs so far this year, too. I think you gotta talk to Derek (aka DV).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not awesome with a jig like some guys. But the best advice I got was to only bring jigs, and to only fish with them. So since getting my tackle stolen I have pretty much only focused on jigs, and I am catching a lot more fish over 3#s with them. When fishing deep I just let them settle and bounce it a few inches of the bottoms and drag it back to me. Everyone fishes them different, I don't "jig" them very much. I also like to swim em in spots where you would throw a spinnerbait. I typically use braid with a 10ft 20lb flouro leader, the leader material is better for than the line. When I eventually get around to betting baitcasiting set up, Id like to use 15lb flouro. Idk why they work, but fish seem to love them. Even smaller fish, I caught a 5" smallie today on a jig with a 4" trailer.

Jig fish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: