CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: fishing for yellow perch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watthe555

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: fishing for yellow perch Reply with quote

hi guys, im going to go fishing at Bantam Lake this weekend for some pike. i want to use yellow perch as my bait to catch them, but i need some help. whats the best bait to catch the yellow perch with? what are some good places near burlington CT to catch the yellow perch? how should i fish them for the pike (cut up, or live bait)? ill be happy with any response.

-phil
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent caught yellow perch besides through the ice in a long time, but i think i remember them hitting small spinners and minnow type lures. Probably worms too.
watthe555

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks. i was thinking about just putting a worm and a small worm. i dont mind catching a sunfish too, anything that i can use to catch a pike.
SAP284

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow perch love worms. I've caught a handful on night crawlers lately. I was fishing for other fish and seemed to pull yellow perch left and right.
watthe555

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i may ask. where were you fishing?
therieldeal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always caught plenty of both yellow perch and sunfish on those little phoebe minnow shaped spoons. My girlfriend loves catching “little fish” and my gold 1/4 oz. phoebe is her favorite lure. However, I agree that using actual worms should give you a better ratio of time spent to fish caught…

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small shallow diving stickbait (e.g., floating Rapala) or crankbait trolled over submerged weeds will often get you both yellow and white perch. The little cannibals love a yellow perch patterned lure. There are tons of perch in the south bay of Bantam Lake. A big northern pike is a lazy fish, so I'd go with dead bait. I'd stick a mangled, bloody, dead perch on a big treble hook underneath a big bobber and just let it float out there behind my boat. Don't forget to use a steel leader.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught them at rainbow reservoir in Windsor. Just don't go on the weekends it's chaotic.
watthe555

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peco, are you sure the dead bait would work? but i like your idea on making it bloody and cutting it all up.

-phil
dcfryxell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

read this recently.... sharing because im not sure how good yellow perch will be for pike. maybe try to catch some small bullheads???

“Northern pike aren’t always the veracious eaters people think they are,” said Todd Kalish, fisheries biologist with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources (DNR). “They prefer to eat soft-rayed fish. That’s fish without spikes, like suckers, herring, shiners and shad, versus prickly walleyes, panfish or bass.” According to data collected by the Wisconsin DNR, Kalish added, muskie and pike will feed on fish with poky pectorals if they have to, but these fish make up less than 5 percent of their diet.
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but Flipper says that big golden shiners or fallfish, dead or alive, are the way to go. I guess that those are both soft rayed fish.

Over the last two days, mep21 (aka Mark) and I proved my hypothesis that yellow perch like to hit yellow perch patterned lures. He got one on the Hockanum River yesterday and I got one on the Farmington River today. I'm not sure what kind of lure Mark used, but mine was a Rapala SSR-5.

Last edited by PECo on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
dcfryxell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was fishing mhollow today at mouth of fenton. a guy was freespooling fallfish and landed a nice pike... my guess is 10 or 11 pounds. i was jealous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: