CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Fishing Heavy Cover Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slim2043

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Fishing Heavy Cover Reply with quote

Anyone have any tips for getting at the summer bass especially in shallow ponds with heavy cover? I have had a rough time getting at em the last few weeks. I've been hitting the ponds pretty consistently in my kayak and throwing everything I have and haven't found any consistency other than pulling in weeds. I'm trying every section of the water column but I can't say I've caught more on the bottom or the top or the mid level. I've only been pulling out between 0-3 fish a trip. Usually I fish salt all summer but with my yak and location now I hit the ponds a time or two a week and May June was killer but July August has been hot and tough. Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking into getting some punching gear,heavy flipping hooks, braided line, and any stream lined baits that will slip right thru the cover should solve all your problems.
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipping or punching would be extremely hard to do well or efficiently from a kayak, well, unless you could stand up, of course. Flippy motors over weeds at five miles per hour, zip!, zip!, zipping along.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Flipping or punching would be extremely hard to do well or efficiently from a kayak, well, unless you could stand up, of course. Flippy motors over weeds at five miles per hour, zip!, zip!, zipping along.

Ive never seemed to have a problem effecitvely flipping and punching from my yak', just calls for a longer 8 foot flipping stick
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say that it isn't effective. Very Happy It's just difficult to do. Heck, I had trouble flipping from the back of Flippy's boat. He goes FAST!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
I didn't say that it isn't effective. Very Happy It's just difficult to do. Heck, I had trouble flipping from the back of Flippy's boat. He goes FAST!

Do you use baitcasting gear? Invest in a low gear ration flipping reel on a 8 foot telescopic flipping stick st.croix makes a nice one, and have at it Very Happy
slim2043

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of baits do you use when you are 'flipping' ?

I guess I have to learn a bit more about 'flipping' and get some more practice in baitcasting because I still kind of look "special" when I'm using my baitcaster and learning two things at once is a recipe for disaster... I can just see myself with 1/4" bloody grooves in my hands from handlining a 3-4 lb bass using 60 lb braid after getting a massive birdsnest flipping an expensive lure from an expensive rod/reel into some dense weed mats... which is all good and fine if the end result is my hand in that big ol basses mouth Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need practice with a baitcaster, buy a jig(1/2oz) and practice pitching it into a cup about 10ft away. As you get more comfortable with it, move the cup further away, or under a bush or next to a tree.

When flipping pads, use braid, 30lb minimum. I prefer to fish a jig in the pads as opposed to a T rigged bait because a jig is much more weedless than a texas rig, in my opinion. Just let the jig get to the bottom, then move it 3-6" and pause. Do this until it gets to the top, and when it gets there, drop it back down. If nothing hits it within a few seconds, flip it somewhere else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCdnQ8WEfQ
slim2043

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I'm gonna get practicing straight away... see if I can get some fruit from my labor before the summer is over... plus flipping jigs works good in cold weather too right? Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use beaver style plastic baits when flipping heavy mats the flat thin profile design helps the bait slide thru cover.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way flippy showed me, you don't even have to crank the reel. You pull on the line like a fly fisherman would to lift and then drop the lure into the cover. you can do this in 12 feet of water.

I had a medium heavy 7-1/2 foot Shimano Crucial baitcasting rod and a Curado CU201G7 baitcasting reel. It worked fine for flipping from the back of a bass boat, but I couldn't cast it worth a damn without birdnesting the 50 pound PowerPro braid that I had spooled on it. They went back to Cabela's, along with another Curado reel and a couple of more Shimano baitcasting rods. I figure that's $550 better spent somewhere else.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya there! If I $pend any more $$$ on fishing this year I'm gonna need a 2nd job! I practiced flipping with a 7' spinning rod Smile... I can flip and pitch 5-35 feet but my accuracy needs some work. I did it with an arms length of line in my left hand and nearly a rods worth hanging and pendulumed it like I watched KVD do Wink. Maybe next year I'll buy a bait caster flipping stick but I'm gonna reinvent the wheel first! Flipping Black Pond upside down tomorrow!!! Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does, Somebody want to go FLIPPIN??? Twisted Evil
slim2043

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yeah!!!! Show me how it's done!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, I've been telling myself for years now "I'm gonna start learning to flip and pitch" just haven't done it. I've got the right gear for it I guess, all baitcasting etc. But every time I give it a try, it seems to go nowhere. I have to go up in my weights I guess. But I'll be trying more as time goes on.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: