CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: flounder?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishing fool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: flounder? Reply with quote

any body going for flounder im in stratford area anyone know a good spot i dont have access to a boat yet
fishinschmoe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a crap shoot from shore, but anywhere at the mouth of the Housy where you can cast to a muddy bottom might hold fish. Again, I say "might" becuase the flounder bite has been HORRID the past few years..

Just for grins, give Short Beach a glance.
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bring chum with you it will give you better odds.

Justin
ploplopfizzfizz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flounder fishing should be closed for a few years. This is one fishery in dire need of help.
Outside of Niantic, I have not seen or heard anything positive, but you can catch all the skatefish you like.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so true about the skates Laughing

I watched this thing on the fisheries on TV and, it was saying that all fisheries in general are very below average world wide.

it also said that the increase in skates, cunards and jelly fish was due of that problem too.

I am waiting for my boats spring commissioning to be finished to go out.
fishinschmoe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with that. IF they closed it for a few years, and it was 1/2 as successful as the striper comeback, or what is shaping up to be a cod come back... it would be worth it. ESPECIALLY along the north east.

Chum is totally the way to go... and fishy flavored cat food (frozen and saoked in a chumpot) works about as good as anything, and at Walmart goes for 25c a can.
fishing fool

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really dont think the flounder problem is over fishing i think the striper comeback has something to do with it they eat all the young flounder and the birds that dive 20 feet down. they also come back in the rivers same time the stripers start staging and running up to spawn well il be out tonight taking advantage of the striper comeback! o i also heard you can only keep 2 flounder a person now
ploplopfizzfizz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I respectfully agree and disagree. Overfishing is part of the problem and so are other species like stripers, dogfish, sand sharks and etc, etc, etc,

Boats would head all over Connecticut , New York and Rhode Island and keep hundreds and hundreds of flounder prior to stricter regulations, not to mention early in the year it is the only thing for draggers to target..
Hell people would go to the Salt pond in Rhode Island and fill hundred quart coolers. Then they brought the limit down to 20 fish then 10 fish and people would just make more trips or take more people.

The other fish species would pray on flounder because they are somewhat small and a easy meal for so many different early season fish.

The problem is many areas, you put all these negatives together and you come up with this answer... Flounder are in need of help from humans

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well said
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: