CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: FYI! Ice Melts Faster in Fresh Water Than Saltwater
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: FYI! Ice Melts Faster in Fresh Water Than Saltwater Reply with quote

Hi All!

I've seen some posts and comments that the ice won't melt that fast!

Well your TOTALY WRONG!

Now this is scientific FACT! And I'll keep it simple as possible.!

Ice melts faster in liquid then in air.
WHY Question Because the ice molecules are being hit by faster moving water molecules which causes ice to melt!
Air is 800 times "LESS" dense than water so fewer air molecules are hitting the ice so the melt is slower.

In freshwater ice will melt faster then in saltwater!
In saltwater ice melts slower because the salt lowers the freezing temp. and raises ice higher out of the water.
Ever make ice cream Question Salt is used to lower the temp.

Now we just had heavy rain and that is heavily pooled on top of our ice here in Ct. with water under it! (Which is warmer then the ice itself)
The temp is above freezing which means the ice is getting a DOUBLE WHAMMY Exclamation from on top and below by warmer water -> thus it is melting faster than you might like to belive.

If you've ever been to the far North (as I have) at ice break-up time or ice out it GOES REAL FAST Exclamation
One day it's a vast flat expanse surface of ice and the very next day IT'S GONE Exclamation

ICE IS UNPREDICTABLE Exclamation

UNDERSTANDING ICE and taking ALL SAFETY MEASURES and GEAR is your FIRST PRIORITY against an UNFORTUNATE INCIDENT Exclamation

Best regards,
SeaDog1
Capt. US Merchant Marine

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:45 am; edited 2 times in total
BassGetHooked

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post SeaDog1

It's always important to be safe on the ice! Best advice, if you happen to not have your safety equipment with you at least have a buddy with you!

Thanks again SeaDog for your ice updates. I don't fish the NW corner much but it's good to know the levels around the state.

I'm hoping that later in the week the temps will drop especially at night and that will make some safer ice...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMEN SeaDog.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: