CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Getting Frustrated Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbehuniak09

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Getting Frustrated Reply with quote

Fishing for most of this summer has been frustrating for a number of reasons for me. I just need to vent about it among people who might not roll their eyes at me. I haven't had a ton of time to get out so when I do I'd like to get something out of it, but I've just been getting angry. I've had the kayak out about 5-6 times in the last month, but I never have more 3-4 hours. I want to try different places but I'm limited to basically 25-30 minute drives and I'm just not having success. Today I got skunked in a short trip to Long Meadow, a few days ago I only caught 2 shorts at Lake Winnemaug, and before that just 3-4 at Toby's Pond. On top of the low production, the wind is never less than 5MPH OVER what they forecast which gets annoying. As far as shore fishing goes, most of my go-to spots from last year have gotten overrun with people or are just not producing. Its all just starting to feel like more frustration than its worth! I'll be heading out again tomorrow. Who knows when, where, or with who, but hopefully it'll turn my mood around. Sorry to sound bitchy, but I'm just a frustrated fisherman.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbehuniak09,,It happens,,try new waters,,always makes for different atmosphere,,hook up with some other fisherman or friends,,just go out and have fun,,Jim
chud059

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've felt the same way, especially with the wind this year...I also fish from shore and when it's windy it sucks...also, my job takes a lot out of me, I am on day 8 of an 8 day stretch, and with the weekend off, all my fishing spots will be slammed with weekenders..... I try to get out during the week and try to find some secluded areas as best as I can and really try to relax.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not alone, Stephan. The schizophrenic weather has definitely killed the bite at times this year.

Yesterday, though, NWDarkcloud (aka Bob) and I found that the largemouth bass were finally getting into their Summer pattern of holding in the shade of cover or structure. Before yesterday, finding them was more miss than hit. A bunch of us have had tough days with few fish at Scoville Reservoir, Long Meadow Pond and Mashapaug Pond. Unfortunately, last night's deluge might have put them back into a funk and the weather forecast for the next week looks awful.

A week ago, Bob threw out his casting shoulder at Mashapaug Pond. Yesterday, he had a very frustrating day trying to cast in the Connecticut Yankee Power Plant Canal. He just couldn't throw a lure where he wanted. It's frustrating when you can't put a lure next to a laydown where you know a fish is probably holding. We called it a day pretty early (well, early for us, anyway) and enjoyed an early dinner (aka linner or dunch) at The Blue Oar in Haddam. We docked the boat, walked up to the restaurant and enjoyed the view:

Having a nice meal in a nice setting after a frustrating day of fishing really helps you to appreciate how lucky you were to just be on the water. Let me know when you want to go. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got very lucky last year and met a guy that is taking me out this year a lot. There are ways of fishing that i have never tried before and a lot of times there the only producers of the day. Topwater has been huge. I have not been worm and jig fishing like i was last year, and crankbaits have been off for over a month where i normaly fish. The frog and superspook have been money for me and him. We are slop fishing a lot, places that are more work to fish, but see less pounding due to the extra work. The weeds are already crazy in most locations. Try the evening time as well. I am almost never out during the heat of the day, and it makes the trip a lot easier on me. Bring bug spray!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kimberultra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree too n shore fishing as been very slow this year.
Bottom fishing has been good in my
Local spots but I just don't have the time or money to go venturing out to sole of the better lakes. Especially if I don't know if the shore fishing produces
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

angry john wrote:
Bring bug spray!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's funny you say that. I had some time to kill last night and decided to make a quick shore stop at Spring Pond. I had a swarm of skeeters (not boats) following my everywhere. In the 60 seconds I was there I probably got bit 60 times. At one point I looked over my shoulder and there were 8 or so biting through my shirt into my shoulder. I couldn't believe it. I got the hell out of there quick!!
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mosquitos. That's another reason I prefer to be out on the water, instead of on the shore. Wink Yesterday, Bob had problems with mosquitos all day, but I got bit only twice. I will, however, put a fresh can DEET bug spray on the boat for the rest of the Summer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont worrie bud we will find a day this week to get out . The river was real nice yesterday , the water is still a little high but not to bad to fish. Hope the comeing rain dont push it over the top again.......

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha thanks for all the responses guys.. I know its not the end of the world and I'll be due for some good fortune. I have been trying a lot of new things. I try to make it a point to try something new in some way just about every time I go out. In a way its more exciting, but its probably also not making it less frustrating. I'll keep plugging along until my luck turns around. Good luck to everyone else too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we were to get out together, Stephan, I know of 1 places that has a number of small ponds with excellent shore access and hardly ever sees any fishermen.

As for kayak, Great Hollow Lake, Lake Kenosia, and Lake Mamanasco are 3 places to hit.
Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember, a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work.
sbehuniak09

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
If we were to get out together, Stephan, I know of 1 places that has a number of small ponds with excellent shore access and hardly ever sees any fishermen.

As for kayak, Great Hollow Lake, Lake Kenosia, and Lake Mamanasco are 3 places to hit.

We'll get out soon Michael. Sometime after the holiday weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff wrote:
Just remember, a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work.

Absolutely!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely been a bit slow the start of the season. Its a long season though and things should settle down. Waters warming and they should be in the weeds or on deeper humps soon(I hope). Confused

Can't catch em sittin on the sofa! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: