CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing
Viewing Topic: Getting that itch..............
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoppy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Getting that itch.............. Reply with quote

Anyone else got it? this time of year has us thinking about putting away the boats and dragging out the ice gear. Ive got the itch early this year. Who else is starring at there gear wishing for winter to come?
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi hoppy!

Huh?? -> Didn't you read my posts in Aug. and Sept.

Thought of the same thing only 2 months earlier -> already had the itch! Very Happy
Got lucky on ice fishing gear at a tag sale!

I'm ready Exclamation Hope though it's a better season this year then last.
Digging thru 2 + ft. of snow to get to the ice was "NOT" fun at all Exclamation

SeaDog1
jonnyfly00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lord, I just bought a new jigging rod, a lowrance x67 ice machine, one of the brand new shappell camo jetsleds (style points), and I also bought a frabill refuge cabin style shelter last february on closeout at CTO (sorry flipper). So you bet your BH's that I'm ready for this ice fishing season. Very financially invested in it....And yes I can't afford another 2 feet of ice because the hand auger is still going to be my primary mode of drilling unless I'm out with my buddy who uses gas. I may look into a high powered drill with an adapter for my 6 inich lazer auger, just because its lightweight and much quieter compared to a gas motor. As for a general approach to the season, I will be using tip ups (esp when I take my friends out with me) but I will be primarily focusing on a very mobile style of fishing just jigging with electronics.
jonnyfly00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.reedssports.com/Product/product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=4714&pc=1591

By the way these machines come very well reviewed...they have a color display, a graph or flasher mode, so u can use them on open water too, and reeds has an amazing deal on them right now. If you register with their site the final place is $237 (no membership fee or anything) with no tax and free shipping. I have been reading a lot of iceshanty posts about guys giving up their Vex fl-8's and fl-12s for these machines just because of the amount of features, particular the very fine-tuned zooming. The graph mode is in real-time too, so there is no delay. These things will be sold out before december for sure.
Flipper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing against CTO - the guys are pretty cool and forthcoming with information. Decent prices on some hard to find items, too. I'm just not going there to buy bait anymore.

I strongly recommend a drill and adapter for your auger. I got the setup last winter and love it. Cheaper, lighter, quieter, easier maintanence and reliable. Make sure you get a good drill. Pay attention to torque, not volts or amps. I got a Rigid w/ 565 torque (Home Depot around $200) and can burn 10-15 8" holes w/1 battery.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha I was teasing about CTO...just saw an opportunity to break some balls. Good to know about torque, yea, I have done some research. I'll be making 6 inch holes so that will afford me the ability to drill probably over 20 holes with a similar drill on one battery. And I will always have the option of going back to the hand crank if I run out of batteries.

Last edited by jonnyfly00 on Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
slim2043

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't ever go ice fishing without my friend who I like to call the hardest working man in ice fishing Very Happy He hand drills all the holes. His sled carries all the gear. He gets the bait. I just dress warm and grab my gear Laughing Laughing Laughing

Can't wait to hit Bantam on ice again this year Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on. You fish with asianfisher, too? Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha that's too funny Phil but it's not Asianfisher.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seadog.........yes i saw yours but felt we needed another. Rolling Eyes Thanks for pointing that out though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: