CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Gonna Take a While
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Gonna Take a While Reply with quote

Sunday morning I wake up to find it just after 9, which meant head out to cover a number of local spots and see what the action was like.

First I arrive at the ballparks at Beardsley to find hardly anything in the Pequonnock. Last year the state hardly put anything in there, and this year seems the same.

Next was the funeral home. Bluegills weren't stacked up yet in the shallows and hardly any signs of big pumpkinseeds or nice largemouths along the shore. I beat the skunk by catching a chunky 10.5" crappie on the Strike King Lightning Shad, which had bluegills and yellows interested also.

I then go to Unity Park to check out the Pequonnock but only see 1 trout in the crystal clear water with the sun making it easy to see.

Fish Twin Brooks for a while and throw a number of lures, by starting off where I was into those bullgills last year. Beat the skunk there by catching a 9" crappie with the Strike King.

Hit the road just after 4.

While fishing, I heard something near me, to find a eastern garter snake. I also heard the first eastern phoebe of the year.

1 thing I saw while fishing that seemed unusual for this time of year was many white suckers in their spawning stage at 1 of the ponds where Booth Hill Brook feeds in. White suckers should just be ending their spawning stage, but with the way the winter was and all the ice lakes and ponds had, it seems like those fish are late this year.
Bolygan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's even worse in the NorthWest CT.

Lakes and ponds are still frozen. Hopefully this week is gonna get them ice free.
On Burr Pond (Torrington), I saw people ice fishing on last Friday Surprised, so the ice was still thick enough, not to brake up!

Probably similar situation up in Salisbury, Sharon, Canaan and around the Mass. border. I saw plenty of snow still on the ground in that area.

Last year, this time wasn't much different actually, possibly the winter was a week or 2 shorter, but fishing was poor in the first 2 weeks of April.
The fish are seriously behind their schedule, thanks to the extra long and extra cold winter we had.
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to quite few places and LOTS of folks are getting skunked. It's been frustrating.

lake zoar fisherman (on boats) seemed frustrated as well.

Similar for off shore

I got 0 action from carp or other fish as well......

Water temps are still VERY low
Steve t.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much on the mill river in hamden, one or two here or there. There's usually no less than 10 people fishing and they weren't having much luck either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: