CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Good baitcast reels? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XploZion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Good baitcast reels? Reply with quote

Looking for good baitcast reel under $120? im pretty new to baitcast reels and the one that came with my rod is terrible...its a Shakespeare reel. Supply a link if you can please! Thankss
cbray44

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also new to the baitcaster game but after some "e-search" I found this reel from bass pro shops.

Bass Pro Shops Extreme Baitcast Reel (sorry, I'm too new to post a link)

I have not received it yet but after reading all the reviews and e ven finding a review on YouTube, I figured it was worth a try.
skeeterjohn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get Abu-garcia is really good or a Quantum for under $120. From bass pro shops or from Cabellas.
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have baitcast reels by Pfleuger, Quantum, Abu and Daiwa. My $50 Daiwa is the smoothest casting of the bunch & hasn't backlashed yet.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
therieldeal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which model Daiwa reel do you have? I want to put together a medium or medium/heavy setup for “carping”. I don’t like spinning reels, and I don’t think spincasters handle heavier line very well…
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own 2 of the older Cabela's Prodigy baitcasting reels and they are great reels for the price ($99.99). They are made by Daiwa for Cabela's and were based on the Daiwa Advantage reel. Cabela's now has the Prodigy B which I haven't used but it looks to be based on the Daiwa Aggrest reel but about $80 cheaper than the Aggrest. I'm guessing this is still a great reel for the price. The guys at Cabela's are great and even let me try one out in the store before I bought one. Definitely worth a look.

Link to Prodigy B
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeImagePopup.jsp?productId=1159843

Here's the Daiwa Aggrest for comparison
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeImagePopup.jsp?productId=728348
flippy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prodigy is a nice reel for the money
atkins

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the new Shimano Caean, seems good so far, it 90$ and I love my Abu 6500, great for bass and saltwater jigging.
Megaman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: baitcasters... Reply with quote

I would stick with SHIMANO.....Curado (is on sale for around 120) or CITICA (retail is about 118) with Daiwa only the ZILLION and above is worth it in my opinion...wouldnt buy anything else......my 2 cents.... Surprised

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For under $120 I would say 110% go with a shimano citica, I recently seen them on sale at dicks for 99.99 which is awesome price not sure if its still going on but regardless, I think its the best reel under $120
dave_376

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with those who suggested shimano....i have owned several baitcasters and i can honestly say with out any hesitation they make the best reels out there. the problem with Quantum, Abu Garcia (low profile only), and pinnacle( they make most of the BPS/ Cabelas branded reels) is that they are only made for a year or 2 and are discontinued or redesigned and service is no longer available for them. They also have a tendency to lose their smoothness and casting ability rather quickly.

As far as back lashing goes, all baitcasters backlash. It is also controlled by the reel settings, set too loose = backlash...set to tight = poor casting distance and control. But with practice backlashes will be minimized.

I would get a citica or curado and a good rod to match not a shakespear rod.....that would be like putting running shoes on a turtle.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this thread. Thanks, XploZion!

And thanks to you too, atkins, for your baitcaster comments in another thread. I had been wondering whether a faster gear ratio would really make a difference. I think I'm ready to give a Shimano Citica a try.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a general rule
5:1 cranking
6:1 spinner baits, jigs & plastics
7:1 buzz baits

another important thing to consider is line recovered per turn.....quantum, pinnacle, garcia and the rest of the Chinese junk may say high speed but they reel in less line then a shimano or dawia would. ex quantum 7:1 28inches shimano 7:1 30 inches
MarkO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimano; 8 spinning reels and 3 baitcasters. As long as you take care of them they will last for years and years. Did I mention Shimano?
slim2043

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Shimano Citica... It's the newer E style. I heard the D style is the bees knees but I never used it so I can only tell you about mine. It is butter and lightweight too. You can run 10-15 lb diameter line on it and cast a country mile! They are on sale right now too at tacklewarehouse.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: