CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Got a New Rod Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Got a New Rod Reply with quote

While getting some gear at Wal Mart today, I looked around for a 6' 6" or 7' medium or medium heavy freshwater rod to go with my Penn Pursuit 4000 and use as a smaller schoolie setup. Currently also have an older 8' 6" medium light St Croix saltwater rod to go with an older Penn 4500ss, The new rod I got is a Rhino RNS702MWG to replace a Shimano FX S-70mb2.

Not too long after using the Shimano with the Pursuit, what happened was the plastic area that the rear of the reel presses against became loose and easily turns whenever I cast. It wasn't casting too far either.

The Rhino is a 7" medium heavy freshwater with some flexibility and a glowing tip.

One other rod I was considering was a 7' Penn Allegiance. The only thing about it was it was a 1 piece.

Anybody is freshwater and saltwater have good success with Rhino rods?
chud059

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my Dad passed, I was going through his fishing stuff.. he had a Rhino rod that I believe he used for trolling when he went fishing with my brother up to the great lakes. They would catch walleye and lake trout and my brother said that the Rhino held up real well. That was many years ago. Speaking of shopping for fishing stuff.. I was at Cabelas early this afternoon and bought a Rapala jointed .. I forget what the letters are but it was 3/16 oz and looked good in the water until my reel went kapootz.. and I bought a shimano ax1000 for 12.99! It works great! I haven't caught a fish on it yet though.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chud059 wrote:
After my Dad passed, I was going through his fishing stuff.. he had a Rhino rod that I believe he used for trolling when he went fishing with my brother up to the great lakes. They would catch walleye and lake trout and my brother said that the Rhino held up real well. That was many years ago. Speaking of shopping for fishing stuff.. I was at Cabelas early this afternoon and bought a Rapala jointed .. I forget what the letters are but it was 3/16 oz and looked good in the water until my reel went kapootz.. and I bought a shimano ax1000 for 12.99! It works great! I haven't caught a fish on it yet though.

If you can't remember what the Rapalas are that you get and want to start to get to know your Rapalas, don't be like some of the sellers on Ebay who are lazy. Go onto www.rapala.com, choose your country, and look at their lure lineup.
OnTheBass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahahahaha buddy thts sad..... "hey bro let's go get some girls back to our place"..." naa I'll just study my rapalas if thts okay.."hahahah

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OnTheBass wrote:
Hahahahahaha buddy thts sad..... "hey bro let's go get some girls back to our place"..." naa I'll just study my rapalas if thts okay.."hahahah

why aren't you with girls at your place instead of being on this forum? No because trolling is more fun.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OnTheBass wrote:

Go to a strip club so you can have sex and stay overnight with a 50 year old stripper instead of catching a 50 pound striper LOL
Stevius86

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Michael, I bought one of those Rhino Indestructibles with glow tips earlier this year. Not bad. I got it for a cheap setup for guest and night fishing (it doesn't glow, must if been in the store under the lights for years)
OnTheBass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha ya...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a new surf rod today as Im sick of swinging that pc of crap Ugly Stick. Its fine for winging out a chunk but today I bought a new Tica 9' 2-6ounce pole. Cant wait to chuck out my new SP Minnow on it also.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
OnTheBass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lik rica for the price but the tips are a little stiff for some aplications

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tica*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I noticed with the rod today was after 5 to 10 casts, the upper half easily becomes loose and comes off when you cast again.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That started happening with the Ugly stick. Its very annoying and also humiliating!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
That started happening with the Ugly stick. Its very annoying and also humiliating!

Same way I felt every time it happened with the Rhino
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 3 trips to Seaside Park with the rod, I've had it.

Listing lots of stuff on Ebay that I don't want anymore, from 2 bed sets to 4 rods. Once I sell everything and get plenty of PayPal $$$, I'm gonna get a 6' 6" St Croix Triumph Series spinning rod. A good seller on Ebay has it listed for $80 with free shipping vs Bass Pro $79.99 + shipping.

4 rods I'm selling on Ebay include a vintage 8' 6" St Croix Wild River MH, the Rhino, 7' Shimano FXS, and vintage 6' 6" Off Shore Angler Golden Cup. The Golden Cup has a broken rod tip. I was given a newer Wild River from a former fishing buddy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: