CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fishing Tournaments
Viewing Topic: Grudge match? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nickp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Grudge match? Reply with quote

Anyone down for a balls to the wall best of the best tourney?

Fishing CT lakes all over 1 vs 1

Set out a format with 16 or 32 anglers and work it down via single illimination.

$25 One time entry fee. Have a draw for who goes against who in the first round and go with that format until were down to the final 2. Fishing via cartopper or bass boat. Work out a date that both anglers are available to fish and pick a lake.

1st place takes 3/4 of the cash
2nd takes home 1/4 of the cash

You in?
1. NickP
2. Marko
3. Just4fun
4. Chuck?
5.Keith!
6. T shan Baws
7.Mike
8.Mike nice
9.STumpy
10.Jesterjackson
11.NX 882 BASS
12. Dusty
One more and we close it up? Il see if anthony still wants in. We need to appoint a treasurer and set up a start date and so on (Maybe April 1st? Late march?)

Last edited by Nickp on Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:19 am; edited 10 times in total
Keith T

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that idea......

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually a pretty cool idea Nick,..count me in if it happens!

ps: I think you could also make it happen for the non-boaters too, where they could just fish from someone else's boat,...(their boater would just be fun-fishing that day!)
Just4fun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way to do it,..which would be on-going and keep everyone involved (win or lose..) would be to make it a "Ladder" event.

They do this a lot in tennis clubs,....essentially, the people on the ladder would be ranked from worst, to best. Anyone on the ladder can "challenge" someone higher up on the ladder to a match. If the challenger wins,..they move ahead of the guy they beat on the ladder (if they lose,..then they just stay in their existing spot)!

- You can challenge up to 3 spots ahead of you,...
EXAMPLE: if there are 10 guys,..the number 10 guy could challenge either number 9, number 8,..or number 7. The number 7 guy could challenge the number 6, 5 or 4 guy etc. etc.
- If you are new and join the ladder, you can have 2 "free" challenges of any spot on the ladder,..if you lose both of them,..you would start at the bottom.
- The time and date would have to be worked out between the two fishermen,..however the one that gets challenged, gets to choose the lake!

There would need to be a few more rules,..but that's the general idea! To make the initial rankings of the people who are interested,..we could just draw the names out of a hat. What do you think??
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea!
Nickp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's IN?

I wanna get this sign up going ASAP. We need at least a few anglers to do a "Best of CTFT" trail. I like the non boater idea mark, but I had an idea of the person who doesnt have a boat (if a non boater signs up) could borrow a cartopper (I have several) or just fish from the competitors boat in the back.

The rules would be simple. Best 3 or 5 fish. Both anglers agree on a date to fish as well as a lake- neutral location is best. As well as a start and end time.
Keith T

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in...... Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickp wrote:
Who's IN?

I wanna get this sign up going ASAP. We need at least a few anglers to do a "Best of CTFT" trail. I like the non boater idea mark, but I had an idea of the person who doesnt have a boat (if a non boater signs up) could borrow a cartopper (I have several) or just fish from the competitors boat in the back.

The rules would be simple. Best 3 or 5 fish. Both anglers agree on a date to fish as well as a lake- neutral location is best. As well as a start and end time.

Yeah,..I thought of that Nick,..but you need to make provisions for if it is two Non-boaters facing each other and also, if they cannot agreee to a time and a place within a reasonable period,..then a referee would have to step in!
In general,..I would say that you would want to leave it up to the two competitors to work out the details of their match as much as possible,..but then to have a referee to decide things whenever the two guys cannot agree.
You are also going to have cases for sure,..when someone cannot make their match.. So it has to be decided whether it would be a default and they just lose,..or whether they get to take a "Mulligan" and have a second try.

Personally,..I would vote for the simple default if they cannot do it within a week, just to keep the whole thing moving! But a lot of guys have busier schedules than me,....so maybe take a vote on it !
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in as long as ther is no conflict with my bass club and the CT fed.
Nickp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the beauty of it chuck. The two anglers facing off decide on a date and place within say a 1-2 month period.
T_Shan BAWS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Interest Reply with quote

I think I'm interested in this. As long as my club, CT Outdoors and Spit'n'Slay schedules don't impede my participation. A few suggestions/concerns:

1) Don't worry about true "seeds". When it comes to that, once you have the full pool of people signed up/paid, then you draw for matchups. Even then, I suggest re-drawing after each round (until the final obviously). Then, if you do it again in the future, any repeat participants can be seeded based on where they fished the grudgematch before.

2) Allow some leeway on the matchups, it might make things run smoother. For instance, have two or three options for a match up. 8 hours - 5 fish limit, 6 hours - 4 fish limit, 4 hours - 3 fish limit. This way, guys who may be busy on weekends could arrange to fish for 4 hours on a weeknight. If you don't worry about overall weight, just the individual winners, this would def. work.

3) Permits. This is technically a tournament, so someone may want to check with DEP regarding this.

Also, I'd suggest keeping it as simple as possible, keeping it at 16 people this year. If it's successful, and there's more interest, up it to 32. If you had a few extra people who wanted to participate and didn't want to leave them out, you could always draw for a 1st round "bye" and have some "fish-ins", sort of like the play-in game in the NCAA tourney.

I do think you need to be careful with boater/non-boaters. It's tough for someone to rely on someone else and if there's an emergency or someone bails, it could start to drag out and I think the best thing for something like this is to try and do the matchups as quickly as possible (as long as it works for both parties).

It's a cool idea and if it works out, I'd like to participate.

-Tim
mike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would like to get in on this
mikenice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

count me in also.
Zorro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick im a maybe dont just sign me up for stuff like that.
MarkO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea Nick, put me down. Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fishing Tournaments All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: