PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Fishing is FUN ! Thumbs Up

It's the aftermath that gets controversial ! Shocked

LOL Laughing

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
sbehuniak09

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Results Reply with quote

Ok, thanks everyone for your guesses and participation. I put together the average and range of each fish guessed and here are the results.

Fish #1: Range 1.6-2.7. Average 2.05
Actual Weight: 2.21 Lb

Fish #2: Range 2.0-3.5 Average 2.60
Actual Weight: 2.93 Lb

Fish #3: Range 1.8-3.0 Average 2.13
Actual Weight: 2.88 Lb

Fish #4: Range 1.75-3.0 Average 2.17
Actual Weight: 2.4 Lb

So, overall, not bad guesses. Many people were pretty close on a few of the fish. However, you can see that averages were clearly under in each and every case. I know it isn't easy to guess weight from just one picture, but I think this shows that people should get a little bit of a break when they say how big their fish was. I think the most telling sign was that the second fish Ryan had and the first fish that I had were almost the same size, in fact they were caught back to back and Ryan initially thought they were the same fish. However, the average guess was off by about a half pound. No matter what, thanks for guessing and i think this was some fun.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, Steve. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a cool topic. I like the idea!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a good idea Stephan! Testing fishermen to show how much of a difference a picture can make.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a nice idea! Shows how much a picture can be deceiving.

PECo wrote:
DirtyDawg10 wrote:
#1 - 1-3/4 lbs
#2 - 2-3/4 lbs
#3 - 3 lbs
#4 - 1-3/4 lbs

Very Happy This is harder than it looks!

Do you really think that Fish #3 looks bigger than Fish #2, Dawg? Rolling Eyes

lol...I'm just now realizing you were asking about fish 3 and 2. Not fish 3 and 4. I guess I wasn't far off but you were correct. 2 was bigger than 3.
mikey5string

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooo, I love this game! Wink

#1 1.5
#2 2.5
#3 1
#4 1.5

EDIT:

Should have read page 2! Would have been waaayyy closer on my guesses!
mikey5string

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking back, #3 does look larger than I originally though. The perspective really changes a lot.

I try to look at the fishes mouth in relation to the hand holding it. As long as youre dealing with an average sized male hand, you can usually get a good idea of the weight of the fish.
sbehuniak09

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad people enjoyed this a little bit. Maybe next time we get a number of good sized fish I'll do something similar. Holding the fish out toward the camera definitely makes it look bigger but I definitely agree that hand:mouth ratio is the best way of telling!
Anyway, I forgot to post a report about it so here goes: We went to Mirror Lake, right on Uconn's campus last Thursday. Got there around 9:45PM. We started where I have been fishing a couple times a week for about an hour a clip. Within about 3 casts I caught a decent 1.5lb.

Then I caught a dink before Ryan caught his first fish. A little while later we moved over to the small waterfall area under the bridge that I caught a few decent fish the first couple of times I went. I threw my jointed jitterbug right up against the wall and within a couple quick twitches it got SMASHED. This is rare because most of the hits I've gotten there have been lazy and soft. When I got it in, it turned out to be "Fish #3" I was pumped to get a nice fish of that size on topwater. That's my favorite feeling while fishing I must say. I thought it would definitely be the lunker of the night. Unfortunately, Ryan caught "Fish #2" about 5 minutes later just a few feet away from where I caught mine. At first he thought it was the same fish. I knew it wasn't and the scale and pictures proved it. Turned out his was a tiny bit bigger. As we worked our way around the entire "lake" we were fairly successful all night. I caught around 8 fish or so and Ryan probably got 10. Of the 18 or so fish I would say that at least 10 were as big as the 1.5 lber I got or bigger. We ended up taking off around 1:30AM.

I basically stuck with the Jitterbug and a Senko which I used mostly Wacky style, but did get one fish Texas rigged. Ryan was using all kinds of things and had good success with all. He used Midnight Spinners, Senkos, his Jigs and some other stuff that I'm not even sure about. If anyone knows the lake at all they know that there are metal wires running all over the top of the water which make fishing especially difficult at night. I now have a good grasp of where I can cast to avoid the wires, and even when you go over, I've always just been able to pull my line right back over it. I was very curious as to why they would be there so I did a little research and found out that oddly enough, they are to prevent geese from landing on the pond. That surprised me.

Overall I have been having a great time there at night. I've gone a couple times for about an hour each using nothing but a Texas Rigged Senko and I've gotten 5 bass each time. I'm thrilled that there is good bass fishing right on campus.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Stephen, is it posted? Are there any signs at all? Just wondering, since it's in the middle of the campus.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to swim across that to put a big sign on the island for a stupid fraternity pledge thing. The police came right as we were getting out but we managed to escape. They didnt want us in there.

I remember we all covered up in plastic and tapes all the seams because the rumor was that there were horrible things that could swim into any unprotected orifices... viruses..virii? Bacteria, snakes, gators, 3ft of mushy "goose sh#t" on the bottom (that part was true).

Arent you supposed to get smarter in college?

Anyway, thats too cool that youre catching bass there. I wasnt as into fishing as I was into other things up there but if I could I would fish there in a heartbeat. You can take the yellow line with your rod!

Have you been ot mansfield hollow?
sbehuniak09

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Hey, Stephen, is it posted? Are there any signs at all? Just wondering, since it's in the middle of the campus.

No it isn't posted at all. Nothing leads me to believe you can't fish there, and I know cops have seen me fishing there and didn't say anything, so I'm gonna go with that.

As far as Mansfield Hollow, I have been there on my kayak and have not seen as much as a single fish.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report. For some reason Mansfield Hollow is one of my favorite places to fish in CT. Between there and Bantam, love those places.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAP284 wrote:
Nice report. For some reason Mansfield Hollow is one of my favorite places to fish in CT. Between there and Bantam, love those places.

Mansfield Hollow looks great to me but I just have no idea where to start. I don't really ever fish big places like that and I am not sure where to target. I took my kayak all over the small pond through the tunnel and didn't get a single bite in about 3 hours.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbehuniak09 wrote:
Mansfield Hollow looks great to me but I just have no idea where to start. I don't really ever fish big places like that and I am not sure where to target. I took my kayak all over the small pond through the tunnel and didn't get a single bite in about 3 hours.

Lemme guess, since you were fishing from a kayak, you were banging the shore the whole time, right? Wink

When they're not biting on the shore, you have to try fishing deeper water. Turn your kayak around and try fishing outside weedlines or structure. If you don't have a fish finder or aren't sure about the structure, try fishing off of points on the shore, where the bottom tends to rise up. Try drop shotting, weighted Texas rigs, Carolina rigs, jigs or crankbaits to get deeper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: