CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: Had a tough day on Coventry lake
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zach0208

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Had a tough day on Coventry lake Reply with quote

I knew Coventry lake is a big, deep lake. But I didn't expect it is so big and deep. Im a new fisherman and I had hard time to handle the lake today. The biggest challenge actually came from so many fast boats and motercycles roaring around. I think that's why I didn't see any other people fishing on the lake today.
I did caught 4 to 5 small bass by a rapala XR-8, and also a crappie. Later afternoon I was also caught by an little storm and got all wet... Crying or Very sad

I think I wont go there for a while cause it is just not a fishing friendly lake...
MANIMAL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so true

i went out on the lake in my pontoon, for the first time at that lake, and it sucked bigtime

I spent more time paddling through and over the wakes left by jetskis and powerboats than i spent time fishing

I have no desire to go back to that lake ever
Scott M

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things to note. If you can get out there early in the AM you will be the only one out there and that and dusk is when I have had the best bite. There are some PIGS in there. Also a fun like because of the multitude of species you can catch. It's also a no-wake or quiet hour time on Sundays if you can't seem to get out of bed before the recreational boaters.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

untrue - i went out on a sunday at 4AM - NO WAKE doesnt start till 12noon - that lake was really the least fun ive had fishing in a long while
mikey5string

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where are you fishing? are you just throwing the lure in random spots?

there must be a shoreline. and on that shoreline there must be some weeds, pads, docks, trees or rocks.

fish those areas.

if youre fishing for LMB, you can cut the lake in half right away by staying along the shore and working the cover/structure that you see.

crankbaits can be productive but its never my first choice. I always start with topwater (frog or buzzbait) in the AM. I am looking for active fish. The ones that will come out and hit a bait. I might throw a spinnerbait PARALLEL to the shore and look for active bass with that as well.

Then I will move to soft plastics either weighted with the smallest bullet weight that allows the bait to sink slowly but steadily, or weightless. I will throw that towards the shore and work it back to the boat. again, paying special attention to any structure or cover. Here I am looking for active but lazy bass in the upper to mid depths.

Then a jig or shakey head dragged/hopped/bounced along the bottom. If I havent gotten bit close to shore I will work these baits a little further out...but not much further. Maybe at the next depth level of the lake. So if the shore is 1-6ft, I will fish the 6-12 ft depth. Also throw a weightless zoom super fluke. Throw it close to shore twitch it back to where it starts to get deep and then let it free fall, twitching it occasionally until it hits the bottom.

I am looking for a pattern. Where the fish are that day and how active they are. When I catch a fish I keep with that pattern until the bite slows down, then I move to the next one.

Everyone has their own pattern routine but i bet a lot of them start with topwater and move to plastics or jigs close to shore.

In general, bass are lazy fish and would rather a meal dropped in fromt of them slowly than have to go chasing down bait fish.

They are also almost NEVER in open water. That is they will always be around some type of structure. If you dont have the electronics to find the underwater structure in deeper water, your best bet is to fish the structure that you CAN see, which will almost always be shoreline.

Forgot to mention that water clarity is important. In stained water, I will use more attention getting baits like buzzbaits, rattle traps, or bright colored plastics. In clear water I stay with green pumpkins, browns and shad colors.

hope some of this helps. I am still working at it. I find that I am catching more fish more often than I was when I was going out there blind and throwing my favorite new rapala in the middle of the lake ; )
Zach0208

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, That's a lot of information. I did find some spots there I can get bites frequently, but all the bass are so small (less then 10 in"). Are there different techniques going after bass of different sizes?

I had a tough day on the lake because there are so many large waves caused by power boats and jet skiiers that I could not even find a quiet place. The other problem is the depth drop off from the shore is so steep.

I learn a lot from ur reply, but I decide to use them in some other lakes.

Thanks! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: