CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Hamburg Cove CT River- 8/9/08
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BassGetHooked

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Hamburg Cove CT River- 8/9/08 Reply with quote

Back to the cove for a full day of fishing. Air temp: about 60 in the am and about 75 during the day....never got too hot. Water temp: ? not sure...no thermometer

My buddy picked me up at 7:30am and out we went. Launched at haddam meadows launch this time around to avoid so much river traffic. Launced a little after 8am. It took a little longer to get to the cove but the trip was nicer...got to pass both the goodspeed opera house and gillette's castle, which was pretty sweet.

Got to the cove around 8:50am and we were about to fish the mouth but the water was really low and our boat got caught up in the grass, so we moved deeper into the cove. First spot we tried was by the first grouping of boats, over by the docks..but had no luck there, no bites even. But another fisherman was there right b4 us and probably spooked anything good. So we moved on just past the boats and a little bit into the channel. My friend had been throwing his black buzz bait and hit a little 1.5 lb largie.

I decided to switch things up a bit and rigged up a white salt fluke soft plastic (ZOOM) texas rigged with a bullet nose weight. Cast that sucker out and let it drop slow then retrieved with a slow pace interruped by a few lifts on the rod now and again....3rd cast out...BAM! Nice 18" Northern Pike. Threw him back and 2 casts later...BAM!! Felt like a damned log hitting my lure, real the thing in and it was another Pike...came right to the side of the boat...HUGE!! At least 2.5 feet long, maybe a little longer...GIANT MOUTH!! My buddy was screaming at me to keep him in the water...what did I do? Try to lift it out using the rod....the thing gets out of the water and whips his head cuts my line and swims off with my lure trapped in his lip. Evil or Very Mad AHHH I wanted to boat that beast real bad...but without a net or gloves it's probably just a well it didn't come in. Would have been a great picture though!! Smile

Tried down deeper into the cove for a while (few hours) with no luck. This was the mid-day blues I guess....no bites. Deep in the cove was a strip of lilly pads so we went back to top water...nothing. I tried my brown/orange crawdad jig....nothing. Tied on a med. sized black/red spinner bait and hooked into a small yellow perch. (Should have used it as live bait..but didn't think about it at the time!)

Went back towards the mouth of the cove, now the time is around 4:45pm. Got back to the first spot we wanted to try, now the water was higher up. Got into there and first cast my friend pulls out a 2.5lb largie with the old black buzz bait worked over the lillies. I was trying out that white fluke again, no luck. Back to buzz bait for me. I saw a small piece of log/tree sticking out of the water and figured maybe a bass or two might be chillen there....sure enough, my first cast lands about 1-2 feet away from the visible part of the log and as soon as my lure hits the water...BAM!! My only largie of the day, nice 3.25 lber. I was happy. We left around 5:10 and back out of the launch by 6pm.

LONG DAY but great! Not too hot, not too many other fisherman/pleasure boaters, and a few fish. 3 species, 6 fish total caught.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love reading your reports,...it's obvious from them that you are out there having a good time no matter what!! Nice going!! Cool
Johnny Skeeter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smashin em bro ..nice job! Love the exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BassGetHooked

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks gentlemen. i like to make my reports as much of a story as i can, give you all as much of a visual as can be. hope the details help folks know where i was, what i used, and if it worked.

and you're right mark, i definately have a good time whenever i've got a rod and reel in my hand Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent report, it really gives us a feeling that you were there making it happen, and having fun, that's what it's all about!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job guys and good report.
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAM!!!! Nice report... Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAM
pdcrack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BassGetHooked

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha.

great pic PD. now if only i could make money off of "BAM" like emeril... Razz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great detailed report
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: