CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Hamburgh Cove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nk1190

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Hamburgh Cove Reply with quote

Was there from about 2-5 today and between me and my buddy caught 50-55 white perch, only one yellow, and 4 schoolie stripers. It was a great time cant wait to get back out there soon. I was using a small chartreuse grub the whole time, fishing between boat launch and the docks. Hope this helps anyone looking to get out and have a good time!
nk1190

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all fish were released! I think the limit is 20 or 25 though for those who were wondering and I think there is a 7" size limit and most of the fish were larger than that, biggest one went about 10-11".
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi nk1190!

You just made my day!

So the White Perch are in !!!!!!
YaHoooo!
They're early this year.

When I lived in East Hampton, I'd go down to Hamburg each year for the run.
Yeah! 7" is the minimum lenght allowed.
But with a 30 bag limit allowed it only takes a few over 7" to make a great meal.
The rest of the time it's plain FUN to catch and release.
Hooking into the schoolies must have given you a nice surprise Exclamation

What length rod and what pound test line where you using Question

Best regards,
SeaDog1

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
nk1190

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using a six foot light action rod with 8lb test. Schoolies were really fun! I talked with another gentleman who was there fishing also and he said that he was out there yesterday and they were catching white and yellow about 50% of each but I only caught whites (one small yellow).
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi nk1190!

YES!
Ultralight rod and 8# test.
That's the way to go Exclamation I'm jealous Very Happy
I hear "ROAD TRIP" coming up the next couple of days Exclamation Very Happy Very Happy

Hope I meet you there Exclamation

Best regards,
SeaDog1
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to head up there today too... wish i did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ReoBPl4mM
I'm having very good time! Good time for arr!
fishinschmoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are the white perch tasty?? Ive heard conflicting stories on that.
fishinschmoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im no White Perch guru...

Anyone know if they will run up as far as the Pattaconk River in Chester??

If so, that may be a great place for me to take the kids, to catch a bunch of em, and if they are tasty, make a dinner event too....
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All!

Well me and my fishing buddy went to Hamburg Cove today!
Spent 4 hours there.
Beautiful warm day, but the fishing was awful slow!
1 Jumbo Yellow Perch and 1 Huge fat Pickerel.
Same with 2 other elderly gentlemen.
Their take for the day -> 2 yellow Perch, 2 White Perch, and 2 Schooly Stripers.

I think the main White Perch run is yet to come -> water still needs to warm up a bit more.

SeaDog1
nk1190

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seadog,

sorry to hear about your slow day! that's fishing i guess though. I'll be out there this weekend hopefully with some better luck.

Regards,
Nick.
ved13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not looking for any state secrets. generalities are fine...looking for a spot to go fishing with the wife before the trout season begins and this thread has definitely peaked my interest.

my wife is only in her second year of fishing. would the hamburg cove be a good place? any easy access spots to get a few dinks?
fishinschmoe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ved.

Just about any pond not stocked with trout or Walleye is open for fishing.

the CT river, and its coves are always a fun day on the water, but can be frustrating for novice anglers. Case in point... Sunday, 50 perch were caught, Monday, a Cold was caught. that is almost "normal" for the CT river.

IF you've got a boat, Hamburg cove (or any cove for that matter) this time if year can be fun, with the perch and pike spawn going on. Check out the Anglers Guide, and find a pond close to home, and see if there is a "T" or a "WP" in the species listing.
If not... pack a lunch, and have a great time.
nk1190

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got back out there on Friday, overcast but no rain. Caught a decent amount of fish 40-50 between two guys but they were all very small, compared to last weekend i couldn't believe it. Mostly all white perch again, 4 yellow were caught. We were using the same lure (chartreuse grub). About 40 ft away from us was another two guys that were absolutely killing the fish! Every cast it seemed they had a fish. I thought we caught a lot these guys had at least 100 fish each! I was very jealous to say the least. Finally I couldn't help myself, I asked what they were using for lures and they were using pumpkin seed grubs and just fishing them very slowly. I made the switch to a darker lure but still did not have the same luck as these guys. O well it was defiantly nice to get out there again and catch fish, This weekends weather is going to suck for fishing so hopefully it clears up for the week probably going to hit the river for some pike fishing.
fishinschmoe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta keep an eye on the river. If we get as much rain as predicted, the river will be a mess for about a week.
I too was hopin to get down there with both ultra light gear, and some heavy gear, and catch a few pike, then doink for some white perch.

Check out www.99main.com for pretty precise river flows and flood stage stats.

Back to you Ved. Depending on what your mode of travel is... the river and its coves are always a good spot... again, watch the water levels...

Tight Lines, and always, post your successes, and horror stories here. some of us dig that kind of stuff...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: