CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Hanover Pond 7-10-14 (here we go!)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jca1386

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Hanover Pond 7-10-14 (here we go!) Reply with quote

I woke up this morning with a sense of determination to pull something noteworthy out of this pond. With no wind, recent rain and muddy water I had some things working against me. Started out in my normal right hand search for bass in the pond. I hit the cove near the dam where I pulled a few out last time and no avail this time. Made my way to the dam itself, threw a chartreuse and green senko and yanked a small 1lber out. Putted along the shoreline and got a few bites but nothing spectacular. Made my way to the other side of the pond, a few more short hits and due to the water color I assume that had something to do with it. Made my way back to the area of the pads that I hear so much about! Very Happy

I hit the pads with a live frog bait and it exploded.

Good fight, had another hit and the fish swam through some un-godly weeds and the fish came off. needless to say the pond has peaked my interest and I will be back as the summer moves along.
Dozer02

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanover pond is a unique fishery. It's not your typical pond, in that it's more like a big river pool. The average depth is about 4 feet with the deepest water being just before the dam which still only measures 11 to 12 ft. deep. The bass need as much cover as they can get from the strong summer sun. The weeds & slop can get pretty thick this time of year. On overcast days, I'll often fish a Carolina rigged soft plastic in the transitional area between the boat launch and the dam. The weeds there are not visible from the surface, the depth goes from about 4 ft near the launch, to about 12ft near the dam. I've found several heavy bass in the middle of this zone, approximately 25 to 30 yards off shore. For shallow orientated Hanover bass, that frog can certainly be a blast to fish in Hanover. I'm surprised you haven't pulled any measurable bass out yet. They're in there, just keep the faith and try going a little later in the day, The Hanover bite seems best from 2:00pm to 8:00pm. Most of my numbers and big bass have come around this time frame.
eatsleepfish91

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen alot of big fish smack a moss mouse off the thick lillies, might be worth grabbin for your next trip out. ( I think an 8 +# lmb was taken off a mouse on hells hollow a few years back and it's still the biggest to come out of there)
Dozer02

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eatsleepfish91 wrote:
I've seen alot of big fish smack a moss mouse off the thick lillies, might be worth grabbin for your next trip out. ( I think an 8 +# lmb was taken off a mouse on hells hollow a few years back and it's still the biggest to come out of there)

I agree, the mouse offers a slightly different silhouette than the typical frog. I only prefer the frog because of the extra weight and wider shoulders of the hooks. Hits come fast & furious through the slop so I'll bend my hook prongs up slightly over the rubber body of the frog. This gives a little extra advantage on the "hitters & spitters" that can frustrate the hell out of us! I think just about any shape topwater presentation worked properly across the pads/scum can certainly illicit an explosion. Stopping or pausing in the openings is critical to pad or slop fishing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: