CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Heavy duty rod and reels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zach0208

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Heavy duty rod and reels Reply with quote

I am new to fishing. I have two Abu Garcia spinning combos and they work well for me in general. I also have a very light combo in hand when I want some fun playing with small fish. But now I want to go a step further so I am looking for something heavy duty (big bass and pike). Basically I have $200-400 budget for rod, reel, and line. I know Cabelas have a lot of options and Shimano and St. Croix seem very popular, but it's hard to decide. I always like trying new things, so I may have a baitcaster instead of a spinning reel. Also I can't decide whether I should go braided or mono. I want this tackle to be my favorate for a long time so I really need some advice. Also, I may travel with it so a two-piece rod will be better. Rolling Eyes
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned before that my favorite setup right now is a 7'2" Shimano Clarus MH (aka Worm & Jig) Spinning Rod (CSS72MHB) paired with a Shimano Sahara 4000FD Spinning Reel and spooled with Moss Green 50 pound test Power Pro Braided Line. It's stout enough to handle eight inch Bomber plugs when fishing for stripers or northern pike, but light enough to handle most largemouth bass fishing tackle. I especially like using it for frogging over weeds. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: