CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » New Member Section
Viewing Topic: Hello (again)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RF813

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Hello (again) Reply with quote

Hi everyone, it's been more than a year since I have come through, so I thought it was a appropriate to introduce myself again.

I live in Danbury, and mainly fish to spend some time with my Son. We've been at the point where fishing for quantity was fun and exciting enough, catching sunfish and yellow perch was great, and relatively easy using live bait. (worms, minnows on a simple bobber setup).

Now that I'm more interested in fishing (and invested), I am trying to learn more about it (for me to enjoy).

I know very little, and considering the amount of information out there, you can understand how it's easy to become swamped with techniques, lures etc.

I'm looking for advice on catching some LMB. I like to fish West Lake in Danbury, as it's close to where I live, and I have seen some really nice fish pulled up by others.

Over the past couple weeks i've switched over rubber worms, grubs and feel like I am getting some hits, but have only reeled one (very small) lmb in.....

I would love some advice on how to improve on what I am doing, and if there is any info I can provide, i'll do my best.

thanks in advance.

Rich
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site Rich!

While using rubber worms, you need patience. First let it sink to the bottom. Then carefully twitch the rod once or twice to let the worm bounce along the bottom before pausing. Sometimes speed can be part of the retrieve because of how active or sluggish the fish are.

The best areas to cast a plastic worm are along weeds, lily pads, shallow coves, areas where a brook drains in, and drop offs.

If you decide to get out during the evening and fish til sunset this time of year, topwater is another thing. Summer evenings is when predators start to come closer to the surface and into the shallows to feed. I recently got a 6 pound 1 ounce pig on a topwater just before sunset.

Crankbaits with colors imitating shiners and perch can attract fish when the weather conditions are perfect or if you're fishing a lake or pond that doesn't get pressured much. Sometimes a loud rattle or hard vibration can help attract the fish.

If fish are being picky due to a weather system that had just left the area, going small is the best thing. Smaller soft plastics, smaller inline spinners, smaller suspending jerkbaits, small panfish jigs, and something floating or subsurface imitating a tiny minnow or insect.

Good luck fishing and if you ever want to get the best of deals on top line fishing gear, Ebay is the place and so is Amazon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> New Member Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: