CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fly Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Help Choosing Flies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
retz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Help Choosing Flies Reply with quote

I fish the Mill River daily and have a pretty good selection of flies available, but I don't know which ones I should use. I know half the fun of fly fishing is finding out which flies to use, but I'm seriously lost. I've gone numerous times and haven't caught anything but sunnies. Someone help plz!
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi retz!

Go to google -> type in Ct. DEP -> click Outdoor Rec. -> click Fishing -> click weekly report.

Under Farmington River DEP has listed the fly hatches that are prevelant for this time of year here in Ct.

SeaDog1
retz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thank you so much! I would have never known!
sethalopod

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi retz.,

If you're nymphing turn over some rocks in the river and see what's crawling on them.
If you're throwing dry flies, try shaking bushes and low branches near shore,
or check rocks and concrete on bridges for the adults.
Then try to match the size and color of whatever is there, of course you may just catch more sunnies.
Fish_Whisperer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive seen trout rise on terestrials there, try a beetle or an ant. If you really wanna get some good fly fishing in though, head up to the Farmington, this time of year, and our lack of rain is no good for rivers that arent spring fed, the water in the mill is too shallow and too warm...Go to the Farmington and throw big dry flies in pocket water, you'll have a blast.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is right the farmington with the low water has been killer. Especially with the fish getting caught in the holes from being shallow. But as of yesterday the water is coffee and higher... we needed it. It will spread the fish out again but again thats alright cause thats the art of fishing.... Have fun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: