CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Help me buy another reel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Help me buy another reel Reply with quote

Please Do Not Tell Me About Any Other Reel That is Not Listed Unless Its On Sale for Half Price but More Every Where Else

I have a choice from several reels and even with some info on each I am not sure which to pick up...

Depending on how much spare cash I have I may buy 2

If possible please give me a review on any or all reel you have experience with and list which you believe is the better reel from 1-8
1 being the better of the reels

All under $60

*Bass Pro Shops Extreme Spinning Reel
Line Capacity 145/10 Gear ratio 5.1:1 Bearings 5+1

*Daiwa® Regal®-XiA Spinning Reel
Line capacity 200/10 Gear ratio 5.3:1 Bearings 10+1

*Quantum Kevin VanDam Signature Series Spinning Reel
Line Capacity 230/10 Gear ratio 5.2:1 Bearings 8

*Abu Garcia Cardinal 300 Spinning Reel
Line capacity 210/10 Gear ratio 5.1:1 Bearings6+1

*Mitchell 300XGE Spinning Reel
Line capacity 210/10 Gear ratio 5.1:1 Bearings 9+1

*Okuma Avenger A Series Spinning Reels
Line capacity 190/10 Gear ratio 5.0:1 Bearings 6+1

*Shakespeare Dimension Spinning Reel
Line capacity 195/10 Gear ratio 5.2:1 Bearings 9+1

I could include more information on all reels listed if asked to

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the diawa regal and it was the worst real I ever owned for the money. It broke after about 15 trips with less than 6 hours on it; i spent around 75$ on it and barely used it. It casted horrible and then the main shaft stopped moving up in down while reeling in line so the line would bundle up on in one place on the spoil. Diawa wouldn't fix it as it was 2 months out of warranty.

I am not a fan of any of the reels you listed. I would personally go with a 60 shimano over every thing you have listed. check out the sadona, solstace and the sahara. all in the same price range.

Justin
Justin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not had these exact reels, but I can tell you from experience that Okuma and Quantum are crap. And since you are not buying their more expensive series, it's probably a safe bet to say that the ones in your selection will fall into the 'damn I wasted my money' category.

Shimano is definitely the way to go...they are the most durable, last the longest and are the easiest to maintain.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin wrote:
I have not had these exact reels, but I can tell you from experience that Okuma and Quantum are crap. And since you are not buying their more expensive series, it's probably a safe bet to say that the ones in your selection will fall into the 'damn I wasted my money' category.

Shimano is definitely the way to go...they are the most durable, last the longest and are the easiest to maintain.

Ditto! Ditto, Ditto!

Also, if you've got enough money for two,..why not just get one really decent reel instead? There are still some old-model Shimano Stradic's to be had for about $100. It would be the difference between something that you LOVE every time you pick it up,..versus something that's going to be irritating you every time you use it after a few years time because it's not quite right! Wink
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what Mark said. Remember the old saying " buy cheap, buy twice". IMO if I was in your shoes I would get one "good reel" versus two decent ones. Once you use a good reel it will be like night and day compared to the decent ones and you'd feel it was money well spent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: