CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: Help the Newbie with some suggestions for the CTR
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cruzer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Help the Newbie with some suggestions for the CTR Reply with quote

Hey guys new guy here, both to fishing and the website - posted in the newbie section.

So couple questions about fishing in the CTR - First off - i am not looking for people to tell me their secret fishing spots what i need is help with lure and bait selectiong - it's overwhelming to say the least.

First thing is - what the hell am i fishing for? Well seems like stripers are thing thing to go after based on posts - BUT i also have seen lots of grass carp? near shore in the weeds and would be interested in these also, more just for the fun of hooking something huge than anything else i guess.

So what should i get or try and use? Nightcrawlers, sand worms, lures, spinners, Jig heads with plastic worms? Shad? Corn? Live Minnows(can i just trap them in the river and then use them? seem to be very abundent) ....

I do have a couple lures, but do you go with the suspending twich bait? the sinking ones? floating ones? I can grab a couple more also from a friend to try out i guess also but..

I also grabbed some plastic shad(?) and split tail minnow looking things from the same guy. Are these worth a shot? How would you rig them up?

Thanks

Stew
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruzer...

WOW, a lot of questions. Honestly, you first need to pick the species you want to go after. Then learn how and what to used to get them.

You have so many different spieces to choose from when it comes to the CT river.

If you want bass (smb/lmb) this site can answers some of those questions and point you in the right direction.> http://www.howtobass.com/

The best way to learn, is to go with someone who already knows.

Some of the questions you need to ask yourself are:

What species?
Fishing from shore or boat?
Day or night?
River or lake?
Live bait or artifical?
Fun fishing or tourneys?
and the biggest quetions is: How much do I want to spend on equipment?

Google is a good way to research some of your questions.

Best of luck..

Ron

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of fishing have you done, there are many types of fish to target in the ct river

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chumley- mostly i put something random based nothing in particular on the line and cast it into the water....doesn't seem to be very productive in that it seems like i have caught very little in the way of fish. that is what i would like to work on, targeting a fish and seeing if i can catch it. ie stripers, lg or sm bass, pike, carp, something. It seems like bass are a good all around fish to go after and it seems like that could be a decent choice...
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend using a hair rig and banana boilies for carp. The commons in the river are quite fun to catch...can't help with grass carp though. Might as well try for catfish too...both require a lot of waiting.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
Cruzer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: ok going to give it a shot tonight Reply with quote

Ok going to give some shore fishing down by the river a shot tonight (10pm ish until i can't stay awake). I have two spots i am thinking about. One is probably fished a bunch normaly and one you have to really hike to. well see how much walking i feel like doing.

So from reading online i am going to try and weedless rig some of the plastic shad and split tale worms i have. I think that my hooks are big enough for largemouth though (only have 6s and 8s) so that maybe a purchase soon.

Also will tray a couple of the crank baits i have...

going to try a mirrolure suspending twitch bait. probly like a 2.5incher and a 3.5incher

Also have a yo-zuri magnet serise Wack-o floating 3.625in and a 5.25in crystal minnow.

Now i have read that you shouldn't use a quick swivel on the bottom of the line but should just directly tie the crank bates to the line- is this true? or would it be ok to rig with spinners?

C-
DV

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people use quick connects with rapala style stick baits to give them more range of motion. You don't need to use a swivel snap on anything with lockring, but you can when the lure only has an eyelet. Definitely use some kind of swivel with an inline spinner, either the snap type or a better ball bearing swivel a little more than a foot up the line.
asianfisher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question.... Do you like to use quick snaps on stickbaits ie rapala or yozuri? i dont just wanted to put it out there and get opinions... i dont think it swims to potential...
DV

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me? I use a loop knot, I hate snaps.
Cruzer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well last Saturday was a bust...nothing. I may try tomorrow morning or Sunday. Going to use the kayak and try some deeper water areas.

I may go to the lake on Sunday with the family and try some fishing their.

Cruzer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: