CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Help with Smallmouth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
basspredator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Help with Smallmouth Reply with quote

I really want to do some smallmouth fishing but I don't know what baits to use I went down to the park in Baltic on the shetucket river and saw quite a few off them and I was using a 7 inch power worm they were biting it but not taking the hook so if anybody could give me some pointers it would be greatly appreciated thanks
metalfish

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they were biting but no hook up, down size. Smaller worm. Also just me me. Fish alot slower and let them take the bait. I aint no smallie expert but just my FYI. Hope this helps...
PECo

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smallies love movement. Today, we caught a couple of two pounders and a three pounder on small original Rapalas trolled deep over submerged weeds. A football jig with a craw-type trailer dragged over a rocky bottom always seems to work around structure like bridge piers.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I have a small sized jerk bait in clear/silver color so I think I will try that tomorrow
anointed130

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried using rooster tails, I usually catch them non stop with the trout colored rooster tails that are pink and green with a yellow skirt. A lot of fun using light tackle.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
basspredator

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the tips, i went to walmart today and picked up 2 original rapalas small sized for 3-5 fow and 2 rooster tails and when i got to the river it was really high so i found a little cove that wasint running to fast and i tyed on my rooster tail and on the first cast i hooked up with a nice 1 pound smallie, shotly after i got a pickerel, and that was it for the day.
damage inc

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screw Walmart! they are destroying this country by putting mom and pop shops out of business!

Ok now I'll get off the ol soap box..... Go get some Keitech Spider Grubs! You gotta use their jig hooks. They hold the Grubs just right.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panther Martins 1/4 ounce weight. Anything Panther Martin that size with any yellow in it crushes them. Use a football head or spot remover with fake Craw fish, preferably a YUM Crawpappi. You'll destroy em.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TUBES!!
G.Parker

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands down the best lure for smallies for me is a spinner or rooster tail like someone else said. When im on candlewood or lilly i will throw that all day and have a limit within an hour. Of course there are off days but when they are biting, thats my go to lure
anointed130

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely agree with losing a whole lot of rooster tails and other treble hook products, sometimes on the first cast. Just have to break the line and retie. Plastics are definitely the cheaper way in the rivers usually in the form of a jig, but my sure way to catch smallies for me is the rooster tails.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: