CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Hit A Wall... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g_morin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Hit A Wall... Reply with quote

New to the forum but I have been fishing plastic and rubber lures forever and usually have had success... this year I am struggling more than I can imagine. Its like as soon as I bought a boat my friend learned how to fish and I forgot. I have tried texas rig, wacky I have tried frogs, salamanders and rubber skirts. Without exageration I have caught one this year and it wasnt even worth talking about. I have never been a spinner bait guy... I have a Jitterbug and a couple XJ9 Rapalas in my tackle box but dont use them that often. I dont know what I am doing wrong but...I ask all of you what are you having the most success with color style etc. I was thinking about trying the jig/pig setup this year for the first time seems simple enough and maybe even a buzz bait but I have never used either. Thanks in advance

Glenn
Fishin'Fireman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site! I've had great luck wacky rigging the yamamoto 5" watermelon with red flake worms.

Zoom curly tail grubs have always been good for me. If you're having trouble setting the hook, cut the grub in half (roughly) so your hook comes out around the tail.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks for the tip I will give those a try... also if any one has any "honey Holes" they know of out here in Northeast CT please feel free to divulge the info lol. I will def try those worms and grubs tho... thanks again.

Glenn
therieldeal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn’t call them honey holes but here are a couple tips:

My personal best LMB came out of Quaddick Lake in Thompson. If you put in at the boat launch and head north, go under the baker rd bridge and keep going north. It gets really weedy… go as far north as you can. I’ve had good luck way up there in & around the weed mats. Lots of good sized pickerel here too, so use a wire or flouro leader if you tie on any expensive lures…

For smallies try the West Thompson Lake (the Dam). Try fishing the rocks near the spillway, just don’t get too close. Also, near the tip of the peninsula and the old bridge piling can be productive. Watch out, there are some very shallow areas (in the vicinity of the piling) that can sneak up on you… broke a shear pin on my outboard a while ago.

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
g_morin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see quaddick I have not had any luck ever in my life espcially on shore obviously but I will have to try it again... and I fished thompson dam two weekends ago 4 hours and only caught 3 fish between me and a friend... he caught his PB at 1lb 14oz but my PB is 6lb 3oz Joy Pond in woodstock like 7 years ago.
therieldeal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have had crap luck at Quaddick from shore. There are only a few spots that you can fish from shore easily, and I think they are just way too overfished (the bridges, the park).

A friend of mine swears there are big lunkers in Schoolhouse Pond in Thompson, but every time I go I wind up catching tons of fish but they are almost all shorts haha. Might be worth a shot sometime.

I’ve never heard of Joy Pond, I’ll have to look it up.

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
g_morin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a old timer I work with tell me about school house pond or as they officially call it little pond... he said 6-7 pounders and gave me the low down on the couple spots he goes to so im trying that saturday we shall see.
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been doing well with the yamamotos too. Yesterday i caught a 5 1/2lb lmb on a chigger craw i believe yum makes them. Ive been throwing mostly towards weeds but have been doing some dropshotting and had some good fish caught. Most people seem to forget to use natural colors on brighter days where the water clarity is excellent and bright colors like lime green on cloudy days where the water clarity isnt even a foot. Just throw different lures near some cover like fallen trees or weeds. I switch lures like every 15 minutes but if i had a hit i stick to baits looking similar. And for spots in the Northeast of ct i wouldnt know. I live in the southwest of ct but ive heard of people talking about beach pond and im going to spend a weekend there sometime this summer. Hope this helps good luck!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keitech has alot of baits that never fail for me. And actually in another post someone caught a white catfish using one for bass!! Just shows how they attract everything!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see alot of people doing well with those yammamato rubber baits... I can say I have never used them, I usually use powerbait or gulp... but I shall give those a try.

Thanks
Glenn
jjbassfishn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, Is your friend fishing differently than you are? Examples: Fishing deeper water or a slower presentation.

I say this because the water warmed fast this year and many fish have headed deeper than usual and aren't hangin near the banks. You may find some, But for the most part you might want to hit deeper water too. IMHO a bass can't tell the brand name of a lure. Color, sent and action are whats important.

Can't catch em sittin on the sofa! Wink
g_morin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well u do have a point on that but even still im striking out on my end soo i dont know...but all tips are being thought about.
Thank you
Glenn
MarkO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced deadsticking...throw your soft plastic at an obvious target and let it sit.

Call your girlfriend on your cell, look at the clouds and pick out ones that look like teddy bears...

I'm being sarcastic, but I can't tell you how many times when the waters warm like this that I've become distracted for a few minutes only to find a fish on the end of my line. Seriously, put your rod down for a minute, stretch your arms for a bit and tell me that it doesn't work.

We are in the heat of the summer and the bass start to get a little funky during the daylight hours.
hoppy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good tip MarkO. deadsticking, if you have the patience can be very good. try a brushog.
g_morin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the heat are definately effecting the fish... last Sunday I went to roseland lake in woodstock 3 1/2 hours the fish finder dound nothing... we didnt get a bight...my friend was even using live bait and not a nibble... but the whole place from one end to the other was maybe 12' max depth... i think they were all in the river portion but I wasnt venturing in there with the boat...

Glenn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: