CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Trout Fishing
Viewing Topic: Hockanum River
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Hockanum River Reply with quote

Every year I get so excited for opening day... It is like Christmas day for me when I was a child.

Last year I was supposed to head out with my pals on opening day but ended up with the stomach flu the night before and had to cancel. It broke my heart not to be able to go...

So this year I was excited and pumped about heading to the Farmington on opening day. That is until a buddy of mine told me he didn't want to go there due to all the flooding and high waters. We had fished a spot of mine before in high water and didn't catch a thing. I understood where he was coming from and since I had to bail last minute last year, I decided not to give him a hard time.

So we decided to hit up a local river (Hockanum) to try and catch some of the brookies. Apparently they stock this river. I have lived near it all my life and have only seen a handful of fisherman on it. I have never fished it before.

So we decide since we don't have to drive out to the Farmington River, we would go to Cabela's at 4am and check out their breakfast buffet. The food was good, the service was not.

So we went to the Hockanum and began fishing/ walking (no idea where the fish might be) and we spent most of the day hiking from potential spot to spot. It was a slow day for me only catching two big brookies (both safely released). I probably walked 5 miles and learned a lot about where the fish were not..

HOWEVER, I did win the sweet raffle prize at Cabela's at 5am.. A Cabela's 50th Anniversary Custom Glass Rod (fly fishing) and case.... Problem is I have never fly fished and don't really know much about it. I always wanted to learn and I guess this is a sign it is time to start..

So if any of you are willing to educate me on how to fly fish I would be more than willing to listen and learn. Let me know if any of you would be interested in taking me out and giving me some pointers..

Thanks,
RobO

Last edited by RobO on Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey...nice job on the free gear. You do know however that nothing is free and when you get hooked on fly fishing and buy all new flies and fly fishing gear they will have made their money back and then some Wink

j/k have fun!!!
RobO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Oh I am sure they will make their money back 10 fold. Reply with quote

DD,
As soon as I won it I was excited. Then reality set in and I realized that by winning this new fly rod it will soon cost me hundreds to get the rest of the fly fishing stuff I will need to get out there and try it. (reel, backing, tippets, flies, etc.)

But hey, you only live once.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is definitely better than buying all that stuff AND a new fly fishing rod. You just have to think of it that way.
steve b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robo,
that is cool you won the rod, nice rod too. I will be more than glad to give you some pointers. drop me a message mabe we can set soemthing up.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I think I just might take you up on that offer..

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Cabelas was pretty crowed for 5 in the morning. That is cool it was worth your time by winning some gear. I have some fly fishing equip that was passed on to me so at some point I will have to learn. Where abouts on the Hockanum did you fish? I forgot that it is stocked.
RobO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS,

Actually Cabelas was really empty at 5:ooam. There must have been maybe 20 customer in the entire store there. That made the raffle odds much better in my favor.

First we tried fishing near Adams Mill and then walked the river towards Vernon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live near the part of the river accross from east catholic high and where it's parrallel with I-84...there is a walking trail there, I always see people there but never think to fish it. I have fished near the corner of hilliard and state road but always seem to get snagged there. Down near the exit 60 off ramp there seems to be a spot that maybe kayak/canoe launches there that seems fishable...
asianfisher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will go out with you sometime with the fly rod sometime..... pick a time and place and i'll see if i can get there... would like to go to the farmington tho. Or the quinnipiac
steve b

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob,
was nice to meet you sorry I had to leave as quickly as I did, had to work last night 2:00am. I hope you had fun and learned something. That was a nice rianbow you released not bad for your first try. I have to say you are a very quick learner.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve.. Check out my post about the adventure under the title (First Timer: Fly Fishing) under the fly fishing category (which seems to get no traffic on this web site)..

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check that out cause I am thinking about trying to fly fish this weekend at some point.
Passinthru Outdoors

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of decent fishing in the hocknum. Its a TMA from Rt 84 in Vernon - gold land all the way down to where it goes under Rt 84 again in East Hartford. Get out and explore.

Visit my Blog at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Trout Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: