CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: hook setting while fishing plastic creatures?? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigh1590

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: hook setting while fishing plastic creatures?? Reply with quote

First off I've been catching bass for years on an assortment of hardbaits ie: poppers, shallow diving crankbaits, jerkbaits but mainly original floating Rapalas of various lengths and colors with great sucess. However i was fishing tuesday on my lunch break at a pond behind my work and put a Rapala "clanking crank" in the trees on my first cast. Spent like 20 min looking for it, finally found but didn't cast it agian for fear of loosing it. The spot I was fising was really covered with trees. So I went back today with a weedless lizard, had three bites but couldn't set the hook right. I'm use to setting a hook quickly with a hardbait but was wondering if one should wait for a bass to take a plastic or should a hook be set quickly? I've fished weedless and carolina rigged Senkos and jigged up craws with moderate sucess over the years but always had monster strikes on them. Also is there a way to rig a second smaller hook on the back of a long creature or worm and if doing so will it ruin the action while swiming? Could my hook size be wrong? Should I use a offset hook or extra long extra wide hook help instead of the regular wide gap 4/0 hook im using now? Thanks for the advice!!!!
anointed130

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could be doing everything right, could be just the time of the year, sometimes in the spring and fall the bass don't smash the soft plastics but pick it up very lightly. A good brand of hooks are Gamakatsu, they always work really well, I use a size 1 or 2 G lock a a lot, they seem to work well for me.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
billysenko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the bass are hitting real light right now. Most of my hits this week have been on the back end of my baits. They are not hitting them hard yet. When the water warms up more they will hit them harder. I watched a few bass come up and just hit the back end of my jigs and grubs.
billysenko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the bass are hitting real light right now. Most of my hits this week have been on the back end of my baits. They are not hitting them hard yet. When the water warms up more they will hit them harder. I watched a few bass come up and just hit the back end of my jigs and grubs.
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This time of year you need to wait for the line to start going out and get a feeling of the bass running with it.

As others said, this time of year they take it light and take their time putting it in their mouth. They drop it a lot this time of year too.
hoppy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There arent any penalties for swinging and missing in fishing. If you think its a bite.......set the hook. What size/type of hooks are you using? I mainly fish creatures and worms and mostly use 3/0 EWG hooks. Youll stick one soon. Just got to keep at it and keep trying it. Sooner then later youll know what that "bite" feels like. Im a line watcher....most of the time I see the bite in the line. Nice thing about worms and creatures is they will get smashed on the drop now and then so stay on your tows and be ready. I do believe the rod makes a difference........what are you using?
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the same way with soft plastics like hoppy said, which is a line watcher. On the pause, keep a close eye on the line to see if anything's playing with it and if a fish starts running with the lure.

Another thing to do is play a bit with the line by using the hand you reel with. You can easily feel the hit that way too.
anointed130

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echoing hoppy I noticed a couple years ago how a nice rod can determine hook up ratio. Caught a lot more fish after leaving the low end stuff and using certain rods for targeted species

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
flippy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL,,First of all,,,What kind of rod are you using?? You might be using a real wimpy rod,,you want something with some backbone,,and if your using a wimpy rod with mono line, you are giving that fish a chance,,How are your hooksets,,I am pretty violent,,I think I cross there eyes,,but too much stretch and a wimpy rod spells for a weak driving hook which means lost fish,,
Megaman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 2 cents...right now its still too cold for LMB...i did already catch a few BIG pickerel fishing very very slowly mind you ..but pickerel love cold water.

.Ive also not had much luck with Bass yet..i believe it has to do with this ridiculous weather/cold temps/rain..it has not been much of a spring..once it starts warming up you WILL see the bass become aggressive. I caught a 5lb LMB at this one spot last summer,been to same spot 4 times already.. yet have not gotten any bass..check weather reports/water temps and hopefully it f starts to warm up...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely ever miss a fish on soft plastic anything. I watch that line carefully when i see it take off i set it! Basically all the tips everyone have given are spot on.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice guys... gonna try a harder hook set today. yea been using ugly stick of various lengths mainly 5"4 with 6pound spider mono (which sux wicked bad and down to a couple cast lengths) so im changin it maybe to florucarbon and a 6 footer that I was using when I missed´em with 8pound mono using gamakatsu 4/0... should I be using a bigger or offset hook. I like a shorter rod cuz I fish in my canoe alot also anyone ever use a sigle or a treble hook with one hook cut off rigged to the back of a softy
bigh1590

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aalso I was just think since it was a lizard I was fishing and lizard r a beddind bass worst enemy I heard they slap it with there tail as protection also could have been blue gills trickin me
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigh1590 wrote:
aalso I was just think since it was a lizard I was fishing and lizard r a beddind bass worst enemy I heard they slap it with there tail as protection also could have been blue gills trickin me

Bluegills will hit a large soft plastic a lot. You have to get the feeling of whether it's a bass taking it or a bluegill pecking at it.
NateD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
bigh1590 wrote:

Bluegills will hit a large soft plastic a lot. You have to get the feeling of whether it's a bass taking it or a bluegill pecking at it.

That's what I was thinking, I call it the machine gun hit, They peck it so fast and usually steal a claw or something off the plastic. And try fishing the shallowest lake you can find, they warm up quicker. I have been fishing a lake that only gets to 10 feet, have even started catching them on topwater.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: