CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Hopeville Pond - 09/18
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Hopeville Pond - 09/18 Reply with quote

Here's a short report for a change. Fishface (aka Tim) and I fished Hopeville Pond today from about 6:15 AM to 1:15 PM. Tim paddled his kayak and I pedaled my Hobie. It was overcast and chilly this morning; I had to put my PFD on to keep warm. It didn't start to warm up until noon, when the sun began to peek out a bit. We originally thought about fishing for northern pike with panfish under a bobber, a la Flipper, but we ended up sticking with our artificial lures.

The fishing was slow. The tournament that was going on might have had something to do with it. However, Tim picked a couple of little largemouth bass on a white spinnerbait right after we launched, although he soon lost his spinnerbait to a northern pike. I told Tim that his eight pound nylon mono is too old school for pike. Surprised I threw a crankbait, a buzzbait, a Texas-rigged Ol' Monster worm and a Spro frog, and got nothing for six hours. Meanwhile, in addition to the first couple of bass, Tim picked up the lunker; an 18-1/2 inch, three pound one ounce largemouth bass. Thankfully, after the six hours, and running home to mama and a wacky-rigged pumpkin/red flake Senko, I landed three largemouth bass keepers in 30 minutes:

16-1/2 inch, 1 lb 15 oz
15-1/2 inch, 1 lb 13 oz
16-1/2 inch, 1 lb 14 oz

At 1:15 PM, we had to double-time it back to the car in order to get Tim home in time to get his daughter. Like I've mentioned before, I find paddling to be easier than pedaling. I'm gonna be sore tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report Phil. Wow! Pike on 8lb mono sounds like a tough way to get fish in the boat Smile
Flipper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys should have went w/ your original idea! Confused I use no less than 17lb mono w/ 3' of 30lb spiderwire to a steel leader. Where did he get that hit that took his spinnerbait? I have only caught pike in 2 other locations on that lake other than "The Cove".

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper - Tim lost the spinnerbait to the pike just off the buoys for the beach next to the cove you like to fish.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil. That is actually very usefull info to me as I have been trying to figure out where they are when they are not in that cove. Me and Joe (bass sniper) are going to hit Bantam on Sun. at 7:00am if you would like to meet up. I think Kira has been wanting to hit that place as well.
Pike only! - leave the senkos and frogs in the box Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you better get Bass Sniper out on the water soon, before he pops an artery. He seems a little tense. Very Happy

I might take my Hobie out to Bantam Lake if the weather is half decent. I pedaled the Connecticut River for several hours today and felt terrific. I'm either getting into better shape or the two Aleve I took this morning worked a miracle. I'd like to pedal up the mouth of the Bantam River to the beaver dam.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: