CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: hopeville pond question. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fish4fun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: hopeville pond question. Reply with quote

I'm going camping with my nephew and his two small children at Hopeville this weekend. I'm not familiar whith the area and was wondering if there are any bait and tackle shops nearby.
Also are there any shore spots to fish the pond with room for my nephews young sons not so accurate casting abilities. Any info would be appreciated.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, never been there but have heard it has some good size pike in there!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Flipper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike's Bait and Tackle in Preston is close and they always have big shiners (pike bait). They are about $14 a dozen, but well worth it.

There are only a few places from shore to fish, but there are definately big pike in there! You can absolutely catch them from shore, also.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys
fishfinder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear that pond is closed as of now due to bacteria along with a few other places.

Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bacteria? Yuck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happens to a lot of ponds this time of year. Hers the link to it.
http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news20057.html

Flipper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopeville - closed because of bacteria? Where did you hear this? I find that highly unlikely since Hopeville has very good water quality. There is a type of protozoa that gathers in colonies to form a big brain like gelatin mass which sticks on branches under water. This organism can only grow in the cleanest water and are fairly common at Hopeville. I will have to check into this closing thing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe only the beach area is closed so people dont swim in it, you can definitely still fish it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCdnQ8WEfQ
slim2043

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steven1smith wrote:
I believe only the beach area is closed so people dont swim in it, you can definitely still fish it.

I second that... Beach closed but doesn't mean you can't fish it!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From DEEP website dated August 19:

All State Park Beaches Except for Black Rock Open for Weekend
The Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) today announced that all state park beaches with the exception of Black Rock State Park in Watertown are open for the weekend. Black Rock will be re-sampled today with results available tomorrow (Saturday).
DEEP conducts weekly water quality tests at 23 state park beaches from Memorial Day through Labor Day.

I also called the hotline and it was confirmed that Hopeville Pond is open for swimming. I agree w/ you guys that you could probably still fish it even if you can't swim in it. I'm very surprised that this pond actually was closed due to bacteria. The protozoa I mentioned above must be non-tolerant of polution. High bacteria levels must not effect them as say, man made polutants. Just my guess. This is something else I will have to look in to. I'm supposed to be camping there on Labor Day weekend. Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I gotta check the site more often, because I missed the posts about water quality until now. We were lucky, and thanks for the updates.
Had a beautiful week end in a beautiful park. The kids were happy to toss a worm and catch the plentiful bluegills, a few yellow perch, and one baby bass.
I haven't camped since boy scouts, (almost fifty years ago), but am looking foward to my next trip, which will include my fishing kayak.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a hotel room? Wink

Sorry, but I'm not a camping guy. I'll take s nice hotel room in a big city over a tent in the woods every time. Very Happy

The first time that I launched at Hopeville Pond State Park, it was early in the morning and still dark. The ramp is right next to the campsites. I felt bad making as much noise as I did near all of those tents.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im with you Peco, cant stand sleeping in tents listening to 1,000 mosquito's! Ive slept in cars and trucks and although its not very comfy its way better then dealing with all the bugs. I havent been in a Tet in a long time though so maybe these new ones are totally awesome but I'll still take my bed or a motel room over a tent.

fish4fun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
Im with you Peco, cant stand sleeping in tents listening to 1,000 mosquito's! Ive slept in cars and trucks and although its not very comfy its way better then dealing with all the bugs. I havent been in a Tet in a long time though so maybe these new ones are totally awesome but I'll still take my bed or a motel room over a tent.

Fishfinder, no mosquitos to worry about in the tent. I think almost all the new tents have zippered doors so they can't get in.
You guys don't know what your missing. wake up in the morning , and you're a few steps to the waters edge, ready to fish or launch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: