CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Housatonic River - Cornwall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Zaun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Housatonic River - Cornwall Reply with quote

Had a trip of a lifetime up the Housy this afternoon. Was there with 2 friends from around 3:00 to 7:00 pm and caught 60+ fish between the 3 of us. Were catching mostly small mouth bass, few large ones but nothing too big, and were able to get 10 trout (6 rainbow, 4 brown) with the largest trout being a rainbow around 20" inches. Also managed to pull out 3 fall fish. All fish were caught using lures, mainly spoons (Bouyants, Colorados, Daredevils).
avidangler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice day indeed. I like using a bouyant there as well..Do you use a small barrel swivel to counteract it's twisting motion and prevent line twists?

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Mike Zaun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I like to use a small swivel to keep the line from twisting up. Makes it easier to change lures as well. I have been trying to catch a pike up there, haven't caught one yet this year. I've seen some pictures of some big ones coming out of there.
al 4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: stop that Reply with quote

just so you know u killed those trout. and in a catch and release area at that. way to go j a there is a reason real fishermen avoid the tma areas on the housy in july and august
avidangler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: stop that Reply with quote

al 4 wrote:
just so you know u killed those trout. and in a catch and release area at that. way to go j a there is a reason real fishermen avoid the tma areas on the housy in july and august

I ABSOLUTELY DISAGREE WITH YOU al 4. Being friends with a number of trout guides AND fishing TMA'S with and without them all summer long.We have caught and released some of the EXACT SAME FISH week after week.It's unfortunate that you've posted an incorrect statement about something that i have extreme knowledge about.Are YOU A "REAL FISHERMAN?"OR JUST ANOTHER MISINFORMED ONE!

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Mike Zaun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All fish were released unharmed. I rarely keep fish that I catch. Also this is NOT a catch and release area. I was approached by a DEEP officer there earlier in the year with a trout I brought home and he couldn't have been nicer. You should be more concerned with the Mexicans who routinely leave there with buckets upon buckets of fish.
al 4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

u both have a point. this year due to the cool temps and rain the fish are far less stressed. however trout fishing from late june into august on the housatonic in a normal year is a bad idea. the fish may swim away but the kill rate goes through the roof once the water temp gets anywhere near 70. its fine to fish for the bass and its super fun. just avoid the heads of the main pools and those posted feeder creeks. also if your keeping any of these fish do a little reading up on pcb counts in the river. It is legal to keep the trout in some areas. I just assumed u were near the cornwall bridge area based on the post. my fault.
jimbojonez

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe we should start swimming down into the water with our gear, getting as close to the fish as we can with the lure and taking a quick picture. that way the fish don't get stressed out. are we honestly so concerned about something we snag it out of a polluted ass river by its face with a hunk of metal full of sharp hooks??? who goes on to a fishing forum and tries to make the members feel guilty about catching fish??? let's try just a good old "hey thanks for the report" or PM them politely if you have some information for them? By the way, TMA trout are killer on the liveline for Stripers, and if they die in the well they are still great bluefish bait!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbojonez wrote:
maybe we should start swimming down into the water with our gear, getting as close to the fish as we can with the lure and taking a quick picture. that way the fish don't get stressed out. are we honestly so concerned about something we snag it out of a polluted ass river by its face with a hunk of metal full of sharp hooks??? who goes on to a fishing forum and tries to make the members feel guilty about catching fish??? let's try just a good old "hey thanks for the report" or PM them politely if you have some information for them? By the way, TMA trout are killer on the liveline for Stripers, and if they die in the well they are still great bluefish bait!!!
That's what perch are for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: