CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Housatonic River - Shelton 01/13 Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Housatonic River - Shelton 01/13 Reply with quote

I was finally able to get out and fish open water for the first time in 2014 with NWDarkcloud (aka Bob). I don't have time to write a long report, so here are the details. Sunrise was at 7:17 am, sunset at 4:46 pm, high tide at 9:56 am and low tide at 4:57 pm. The air temperature stayed in the mid to upper 40s and what little wind there was blew out of the south at less than 10 miles per hour. The water temperature hovered around 32 degrees all day. We fished from just before 7:30 am to just before 5:00 pm in my boat, The Other Woman, Too. We were the first trailered boat to launch from the Sunnyside Boat Launch Facility in Shelton. We didn't mark many fish with the fish finder as we headed up to the cove on the downriver side of Two Mile Island. It was frozen over with a sheet of ice so thick that I didn't dare to try any icebreaking:

We headed to the upriver side of Two Mile Island, where we saw a couple of other boats. Although there was some ice, it wasn't nearly as thick as it was in the cove and was slowly breaking up in the flowing water. At 7:40 am, I boated the first schoolie striped bass with a Bubblegum Zoom Super Fluke on a 1/2 ounce Kalin's Ultimate (i.e., bullet) jighead:

Bob followed it up with one of his own only 10 minutes later, but he used a White Pearl/Chartreuse Zoom Salty Super Fluke on a 1/2 ounce round jighead:

Although we got off to a quick start, the fish were pretty finicky all morning and sometimes hard to track. But they were there:

The bite was so slow that we decided to "do some 'splorin', Lucy". At 10:45 am, we bundled up and made the run down to the cove at Pine Rock Park after catching only 12 fish. Unfortunately, it was completely iced over with a sheet of ice so substantial that the wake from the boat didn't even move it:

We decided to head back up to the upriver side of Two Mile Island, hoping that the warming air had melted off most of the ice. It had, but the fish were even finickier than they had been in the morning. I think we had only 16 fish in the boat until 1:30 pm, when I finally got a hit from a 30 inch keeper:

Whoo Hoo! Very Happy After that, we figured out that they wanted a Bubblegum Zoom Fluke on a 1/2 ounce jighead either slowly retrieved over the bottom, preferably upriver, or quickly retrieved off of the bottom with a few cranks of the reel, followed by a pause. I don't know whether it was the outgoing tide that got the fish to start biting, but once they did, they didn't stop. We ended up boating 105, including three that were 23 inches long, a really fat one that was 25, one that was 28 and the 30 incher. And those numbers don't include the 12 that we inadvertently snagged up. I beat Bob eight to four at that. Cool

I won't be able to fish for a while, so it was great to get the first trip of the year under my belt. I can't wait to get back out there.

Last edited by PECo on Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that I also caught the dinker for the day, which was only 13 inches long:

And here's a photo of the first of four or five doubles that Bob and I had during the afternoon:

Oh, and the 30 incher spit up a four inch long alewife, so that's what they're eating.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job Bob and Phil!

Congrats on the keepers Phil! How many Housy keepers is this now?
Sea Duck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice...
Some days you get 200, other days only 100....you take the bad with the good.
Smile
BTW, I don't think the 13" fish wins a dinker prize....has to be under 6" and then you are required to name it before throwing back.
Cheers
SD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great trip guys! Nice winter keeper!
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Duck wrote:
Nice...
Some days you get 200, other days only 100....you take the bad with the good.
Smile
BTW, I don't think the 13" fish wins a dinker prize....has to be under 6" and then you are required to name it before throwing back.
Cheers
SD

200?!?! On what day is that? Laughing

Thanks for reminding me of the Dinker Rules. You're right; 13 inches is waaay too big. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fishing from shore next to you yesterday thanks for the heads up on fish location.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpepice wrote:
I was fishing from shore next to you yesterday thanks for the heads up on fish location.

How'd you and your buddy end up doing? That spot is terrific. And, no, I won't say where it is. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Phil and Bob great report as usual can't wait to go out in the yak with you this spring.
cpepice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did good. He ended up catching one about 33 inches just at dark.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job guys!
madkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job!!
landed a boatload on our last trip down there, but has been a few weeks for me.
Rich

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madkey wrote:
Nice job!!
landed a boatload on our last trip down there, but has been a few weeks for me.
Rich

Hey, Rich! When Bob and I couldn't get a bite, we noticed that the chandelier guys were getting some. And I wanted to ask you from where you get your lime green flukes. Cabela's doesn't seem to carry any in the store.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its too bad I wasnt sure that was you Phil cause it would have been nice to finally meet you. Pm me the next time your going down there if your going to stay past about 4;15 on a weekday so that I can flag you down as you go by. I always wear waders and am always in the water unlike most of the guys there so Im not to hard to pick out of the crowd.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Sea Duck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishfinder will be the guy catching.....
or shouting obscenities, but don't be deterred, that's just how he summons the fish.
Oddly, it seems to work. Thanks Wade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: