CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Housatonic River - Shelton 04/02
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Housatonic River - Shelton 04/02 Reply with quote

After yesterday's failure to get many fish to bite, NWDarkcloud (aka Bob) and I went back to the lower Housy to give it another try. We launched at the Sunnyside Boat Launch Facility in Shelton at 8:10 am. Unlike yesterday, we decided to head upriver toward the cove at Two Mile Island and almost immediately located some fish with the finder:

I boated the first fish at 8:45 pm, but accidentally dropped it back into the water before could get a photo of it. A couple of fish later, I pulled up this little dinker from only 35 feet down and its swim bladder popped out:

Confused That was a first for me with stripers. After a very slow start, Bob and I finally figured out a way to get the finicky fish to bite. A fluke jig retrieved very quickly off of the bottom followed by a long pause would often trigger a bite. I figure that the fast moving lure gets them into "chase mode" and they can't help but bite when it pauses. I even got some with a Bubblegum (aka pink) Zoom Super Fluke:

We didn't get any keepers, but my lunker was 27 inches long:

We ended up boating 41 fish from both sides of Two Mile Island before we had to leave at 4:10 pm. Here's Bob with number 41:

Although we're still struggling to catch many fish, we're getting better and better at it. Things are definitely looking up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying different retrieves is important when fish are being finicky.

I've had times fishing freshwater when I'd be throwing a Husky Jerk and find out the fish wanted 1 certain jerk and pause retrieve.
KissMyBass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a couple people fishing from shore on two mile island the other day on the river side, not the cove... any idea how to access that by foot? Or if it's even legal without trespassing through that construction area
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KissMyBass wrote:
I saw a couple people fishing from shore on two mile island the other day on the river side, not the cove... any idea how to access that by foot? Or if it's even legal without trespassing through that construction area

I have no idea. I think that Two Mile Island and the stretch of riverbank immediately upriver from it is private property.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!
no fish in housy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
KissMyBass wrote:

I have no idea. I think that Two Mile Island and the stretch of riverbank immediately upriver from it is private property.

it is all private...no acces...ull be charged for tresspassing.you have sullivans and sunnyside...nothing in between.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no fish in housy wrote:
it is all private...no acces...ull be charged for tresspassing.you have sullivans and sunnyside...nothing in between.

And Pine Rock Park from behind the Sports Center of Connecticut.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no fish in housy wrote:
PECo wrote:
KissMyBass wrote:

True story. My buddy got a ticket going over there 2 yrs ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: