CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Housatonic River - Shelton 12/28 Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Housatonic River - Shelton 12/28 Reply with quote

Although I'm not a fan of weekend fishing, DirtyDawg10 (aka Derek) is usually only free to fish on weekends, so he and I headed down to the Housatonic River in Shelton on Saturday. When we arrived at the Sunnyside Boat Launch Facility at about 7:30 am, the parking lot was mostly full. The boat trailer parking spaces that are directly across from the ramp were completely full. I immediately noticed that the guy from the City of Shelton who checks for permits wasn't there. Yet. Wink When Derek and I began preparing to launch my boat, The Other Woman, Too, he finally showed up. I ended up parking my trailer in one of the boat trailer parking spaces on the side of the lot next to the marina. And the guy from the city said that the New Yorker who had parked his trailer in 1-1/4 spaces would get a ticket. Laughing Sunrise was at 7:18 am, high tide at 7:46 am and low tide at 2:52 pm. After we launched, although I wondered to where almost all of the other boats had gone, we headed upriver to the skim ice in front of Two Mile Island. We quickly marked some fish with the fish finder, but the schools were small and sparse. They were apparently hiding underneath the thicker ice inside the cove, and would swim out and back, again. We opened up some water by circling the boat through the ice and began fishing. Although Derek had caught a keeper striped bass while snap trolling during a charter on the Sunbeam VI in June, he's new to striper fishing on the lower Housy. We couldn't get the fish that we marked to bite, but pretty soon there were half a dozen boats around us. I guess that a lot of the other boats couldn't find hungry fish, either. Confused It wasn't until 9:40 am that I finally boated one of the finicky little schoolies:

Although I wanted to catch some fish, I wanted even more for Derek to catch some. We joined the fleet on the upriver side of Two Mile Island for a while, but couldn't get much. I think I might have gotten one. But the highlight of of fishing with the fleet was watching another fisherman fight for several minutes with what I told Derek was either a very large striper or a snag-hooked schoolie. When the fisherman yelled for his buddy to get the net, we knew that it wasn't a snag-hooked schoolie. After the whooping died down, we heard that it was a 44+ inch, 34+ pound keeper. Shocked That was really sweet to watch. Very Happy Anyway, we soon headed back downriver in front of the ice sheet in the cove at Two Mile Island. While we were there, we saw another fisherman boat a schoolie with a lime green fluke or Slug-Go. Although I didn't have any lures as brightly colored as that, I remembered that I still had some Bubble Gum Zoom Flukes, so Derek and I both gave them a try. I quickly discovered that a fast retrieve off of the bottom followed by a pregnant pause could trigger a bite:

And a few minutes later, at 12:50 pm, it worked for Derek, too:

Whoo hoo! Derek's first ever striper! Very Happy And, no, the one he caught on the charter boat and the one he snagged up earlier in the day don't count. Wink Anyway, our day was much more productive after that, although that's relative to our sucky morning. We ended up boating 15 before we got off of the water in the fading light at about 4:45 pm. We may not have had a great day of catching, but we really enjoyed a great day of fishing:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you got into a good bite after the skunky start
fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see tgat 44"er at all? Thats by far the biggest fish Ive heard of being caught this time of year! Good to hear some big girls are still around. Biggest Ive caught in the past 2 months is 35"s and like I said in another thread it felt more like I snagged something off the bottom and reeled it in. Almost no fight at all.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
Did you see tgat 44"er at all? Thats by far the biggest fish Ive heard of being caught this time of year! Good to hear some big girls are still around. Biggest Ive caught in the past 2 months is 35"s and like I said in another thread it felt more like I snagged something off the bottom and reeled it in. Almost no fight at all.

Yeap, we saw it. It was huge! And, like you, he said his first thought was that he had snagged something on the bottom. But then it began pulling toward the shore. He and his buddy were on a heavy fiberglass bass boat and it seemed to pull them around pretty well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well went out from 4:30 until 8:30 tonight at 3 different spots. Freakin cold out!! 1.25 hours into fishing I got my first mono ball of spaghetti trying to whip a small zoom out and of coarse while reeling in just as I get the big knot at my top guide I hook my 1 and only fish of the night and couldnt reel it in any further due to that knot and was in an awkward position wading in the water on rocks so couldnt set the hook either and it got away. Wasnt a big 1 but it would have been nice to actually catch a fish lately especially seeing as how I doubt Ill be going for awhile with the deep freeze coming up! Sad Sad Sad Sad Crying or Very sad Mad Go away winter!

DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for getting me out there Phil! Despite the slow bite I had a great time trying to get them to bite.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
Well went out from 4:30 until 8:30 tonight at 3 different spots. Freakin cold out!! 1.25 hours into fishing I got my first mono ball of spaghetti trying to whip a small zoom out and of coarse while reeling in just as I get the big knot at my top guide I hook my 1 and only fish of the night and couldnt reel it in any further due to that knot and was in an awkward position wading in the water on rocks so couldnt set the hook either and it got away. Wasnt a big 1 but it would have been nice to actually catch a fish lately especially seeing as how I doubt Ill be going for awhile with the deep freeze coming up! Sad Sad Sad Sad Crying or Very sad Mad Go away winter!

Did you notice that you got the bite when you paused your retrieve, Wade? I love it when they'll bite on a steady retrieve, but sometimes you need a steady retrieve followed by a pause.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I didnt but where I stopped because of the knot was not a good place to as Ive gotten snagged 100's of times right there without even pausing! I got lucky that time that I didnt. Im going to go in awhile for probably the last time if the weather predictions are right and hopefully all spots arent too frozen over already.

PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
You know, I didnt but where I stopped because of the knot was not a good place to as Ive gotten snagged 100's of times right there without even pausing! I got lucky that time that I didnt. Im going to go in awhile for probably the last time if the weather predictions are right and hopefully all spots arent too frozen over already.

Well, if there's something to snag, there's something to hold fish. Even when we can't locate schools with the fish finder, we usually spot individual or small groups of fish on boulders and humps.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I put my new fishing license to work today fishing the Housy for 6 hours with no payoff at all, not even a bite again. I did see a guy that puts in just as much time in as me get a 32"er though on an SP. Im glad it was caught by someone who puts the time in and typically throws his fish back!

PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you got out. The weather forecast looks like crap.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, still better then a day at work!!!!

rvolkers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boats put away - fishing hard water
fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never!!!!!! I fished last night and from 7:30 am today until 2 pm but never got a hit. Only the coves have ice now but I guess that will change again after tonight and tomorrow. I had no work due to that fire in Shelton which was almost right across from where I work so we had no power all day! At least I got out. Cant believe I didnt get a bite still.

Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Rich Z's Bass Blog. The big girls came out to play today in the Housy.

http://www.richz.com/fishing/blog/?p=4685
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: