CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Housatonic Striper
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drawnon

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Housatonic Striper Reply with quote

So Ive been going to school in Shelton, and my teacher told me about some places to go striper fishing. Ive been hitting the Derby dam and the Derby boat launch. No luck for me yet. When I got to the derby boat launch Friday morning, some guy was leaving with a striper as big as his leg. Can you say jealous? So I believe I was at Hog Island? I saw at least a dozen of them just sitting at the surface. They didn't want anything I was throwing. I tried 9" silver and black houdini shad, 5" shad, The guy at the bait shop near that pizza place said yellow is a popular color so far, so I bought a big yellow $15 split crank, I had some frozen bunker. I caught nothing but a sunburn. Tried again around 3 after school on Saturday. Tons of people, so I didn't stay too long. Kinda crowded. I noticed millions of little fish around 6 to 10 inches long, silver in color just going nuts at the shore. What are they? Is that why the striper aren't biting? Because there are tons of natural food around? Maybe Ill try again Monday, but real early in the morning, like around 5? What do you guys think? I tried a bunch of spots last season all over the Ct river from the mouth, to the dam in Enfield, and never saw a sign that there were striper there at all. At least Ive seen them at the Housatonic.
GC101

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those are alewife that are bubbling around there. its has been hit or miss lately, but the action tends to heat up around 10-12am-great place at night.
drawnon

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info GC101
asianfisher

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Housatonic Striper Reply with quote

Dude In derby they have been hitting top water alot latley. Have caught a bunch over 28 just with the top water plugs. There has been alot of Spanish guys catching them where the 2 rivers meet that have been undersize that they have been keeping and alot of over size with sand worms... As for CT river it has been great too this year....
drawnon wrote:
So Ive been going to school in Shelton, and my teacher told me about some places to go striper fishing. Ive been hitting the Derby dam and the Derby boat launch. No luck for me yet. When I got to the derby boat launch Friday morning, some guy was leaving with a striper as big as his leg. Can you say jealous? So I believe I was at Hog Island? I saw at least a dozen of them just sitting at the surface. They didn't want anything I was throwing. I tried 9" silver and black houdini shad, 5" shad, The guy at the bait shop near that pizza place said yellow is a popular color so far, so I bought a big yellow $15 split crank, I had some frozen bunker. I caught nothing but a sunburn. Tried again around 3 after school on Saturday. Tons of people, so I didn't stay too long. Kinda crowded. I noticed millions of little fish around 6 to 10 inches long, silver in color just going nuts at the shore. What are they? Is that why the striper aren't biting? Because there are tons of natural food around? Maybe Ill try again Monday, but real early in the morning, like around 5? What do you guys think? I tried a bunch of spots last season all over the Ct river from the mouth, to the dam in Enfield, and never saw a sign that there were striper there at all. At least Ive seen them at the Housatonic.
MSM07

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Derby dam has been good, i went down the other day and got one on the second cast of the day on a popper. If you can at night is the best around like 10:30, but early morning works too.
asianfisher

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went and landed 6 today kept only one. Today was my opinion the best so far this year for top water was there only 45 mins...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: