CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Housatonic? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
striperswiper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Wanna Fish; you asked me to provide support for my C&R mortality rates; I provided you with my sources. You countered with support documentation from 2 other sources. When I asked you to provide additional information on your sources; you told me to do research. I provided you with my sources; why can't you provide me (and the group) with your sources? Seems like a simple ask on my part.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RLoutdoors wrote:
Back to actual reports...

Saturday. Fished around two mile island early for a few hours. Small scattered schools. around 40 fish. Biggest @ 24"

Sunday. Fished S of Sunnyside for 2 hours in the afternoon. Same results. All on 1/2oz jigheads and various soft plastics.

Total for the weekend a little under 100 fish between two of us. All fished released as healthy as they came out.
Thumbs Up

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RLoutdoors wrote:
Back to actual reports...

Saturday. Fished around two mile island early for a few hours. Small scattered schools. around 40 fish. Biggest @ 24"

Sunday. Fished S of Sunnyside for 2 hours in the afternoon. Same results. All on 1/2oz jigheads and various soft plastics.

Total for the weekend a little under 100 fish between two of us. All fished released as healthy as they came out.

Stayed near pylons all morning. Fish were stacked .
ripline

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to make your own decisions here.

There is without a doubt a huge number of fish killed on the Hous each year. Any study on the mortality rate of c&r fish will tell you that. The numbers don't need to be exact to see the big picture.

I've been fishing it for over 20 years and actually made the decision to stop 2-3 years ago due to the overfishing, poaching and overcrowding there. It just felt right for me. You also need to understand that the incidents of mycrobacterium (mycobacteriosis) have increased dramatically. This is just observed, no data to back it up. I went 10 years never seeing a fish with the "scuzzies", "shake and bake" or whatever you want to call it and as the fisherman (and fishing) increased, more and more infected fish were caught by me and others. One theory is stress; lack of food or fishing pressure are 2 possible theoretical causes. Since the Hous is loaded with forage then fishing pressure would be the obvious choice here.

Best of luck to those of you fishing there and just do what you can to take care of a very valuable resource.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could also be possible the pollution seeping from the Shelton Dump, O'Sullivans Island and the PCB's from Mass. are contributing to the fish health. I grew up in the Valley and fished the Housy all my life. I remember that and the Naugy being Rainbow Colors. Much seeping out of the dump. Not that I like eating fish but I would never eat anything coming from there.

Those rivers have made a major comeback in recent years. But the pollution still lurks on the bottom. I've yet to see ill fish in there. Maybe it's just me but the fish population looks very healthy. As far as their food goes, last year and years past the Shad are so thick at times you could almost walk on them. Certain times of the year I would attribute the fish mortality rate to oxygen levels and construction disturbing the water.

As far as over fishing goes, the population of fisherman on the Housy doesn't even compare to Candlewood Lake and that is a very healthy fishery with much catch and release practiced and very few fish found dead.

I do see a couple of morons every now and then being idiots and tossing dead fish due to poor equipment or poor catch and release tactics.

Have I had a fish die on me? Yes! Everyone has.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still like to know about, and subsequently read the CT DEEP and UConn studies referenced above. I obviously have not heard of them before, but would like to have additional information.
And yes fish do die from poor landing and handling techniques. But there also fish that pass away after release takes place; it may be minutes, it may be hours; but it does happen and is not always visible as floating fish.
polstery

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me point out some facts i saw on the housey sunday, first there was a group of $50000 plus fiberglass bass boats that are not there normally. sunday was a nice day my guess the fair weather weekend warriors read rich z blog and had to try it.just the regular were there on the cold and windy saturday.fishing was better on saturday my guess is because the was not any 60 mph bass boats driving over all the fish.so i go to my normal fishing spot and start pulling in fish and i notice the guys with more money than brains and don't know how to work what they have (bass boat guys) are inching to me, now that they are within casting distance to me they start catching fish(ok i can share) now this is where the problems for the fish start. the bass boat guys start swinging for the bleachers thinking they are KVD at the FLW then flipping the fish onto the deck then letting him flop around a bit till they throw them or kick them back in. NOT VERY GOOD FOR THE FISH. I HAVE NEVER SEEN RICH Z DO AND OF THAT. 99.9% the fish is never touched and his barbs are crimped. THATS THE FACTS. HATERS WILL ALWAYS BE HATING
fivestring

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crest Daddy wrote:
striperswiper wrote:
So utilizing the 9% mortality rate associated with catch and release, this clown Rich z killed almost 30 striped bass today.....completely unnecessary.

been saying that for a while. dude unknowingly kills hundreds of schoolies a winter

Plus all the fish that were killed by other people who were drawn in by his blog.
coastieyaker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna fish...
Thanks for the pm...I tried responding but this pm system always gives me trouble.
If you dont receive a reply by tomorrow morning, pm me your email so I can respond

Thanks
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I got it! Frontier is giving me issues. I'll respond shortly. Just got home.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fivestring wrote:
Crest Daddy wrote:
striperswiper wrote:
So utilizing the 9% mortality rate associated with catch and release, this clown Rich z killed almost 30 striped bass today.....completely unnecessary.

been saying that for a while. dude unknowingly kills hundreds of schoolies a winter

Plus all the fish that were killed by other people who were drawn in by his blog.

Oh! You guys are "TO FUNNY." Lurking in other blogs but posting complaints in here! "WAY TO FUNNY. WAYYYY! TO!!!! FUNNNY!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Funny huh??? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Wanna Fish"][quote="fivestring"][quote="Crest Daddy"][quote="striperswiper"]So utilizing the 9% mortality rate associated with catch and release, this clown Rich z killed almost 30 striped bass today.....completely unnecessary.[/quote]

been saying that for a while. dude unknowingly kills hundreds of schoolies a winter[/quote]

Plus all the fish that were killed by other people who were drawn in by his blog.[/quote]

Oh! You guys are "TO FUNNY." Lurking in other blogs but posting complaints in here! "WAY TO FUNNY. WAYYYY! TO!!!! FUNNNY!!!![/quote]

Not sure what this is referring to; I don't read or subscribe to blogs.

I am just concerned with the large number of stripers that will die this winter in an unnecessary fashion. With the state of the striper fishery on the verge of another collapse, we need to take care of the juvenile stocks that we have since they are the breeders of the future.
RLoutdoors

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to add fuel to the fire here, but had to throw my $.02 in. There's no argument that some fish will die when hooking into that many on a given day. However, the fish are there and there is no law or regulation keeping people from C&R over these winter months, so you can't complain when people are out there fishing for them.

One thing I do note though, is that when I go out, I catch about 20-30, then I'm done. It's cold, the fish are pretty lethargic and dont fight all that well. After that many, it get's quite repetitive. I'll never understand the desire to catch over 100 of those fish in one day.
Sea Duck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure that in some states it is actually illegal to target stripers if you have your limit in a cooler already. Obviously it is impossible for a warden to prove intent as you could be fishing for other species. I fish C&R and would of course like to catch large fish, but some nights a handful of short bass handled with care is enjoyable for anyone who likes fishing.
I think the idea of specifically targeting 7000 fish totaling....IDK... minimum ten tons or so @ #3 each ...and expecting the majority to be short...I guess it's legal but I imagine if it proves destructive to the population I reluctantly hope that the river would just be closed to fishing when shoolies are the dominant presence. If hundreds of people catch a couple dozen fish per outing, great! It is recreation after all. If too many people adopted multi thousand targets it would likely lead to no opportunity for anyone. Maybe I am wrong but I think that is the intent of the criticism. It is kind of hard to argue against in any logical fashion.
SD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: