CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Housy WTF Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Housy WTF Reply with quote

Sea Duck and I hit the Housy tonight from outgoing and I really didnt want to play the dragging bottom game tonight so I threw plugs. Got a striper just under kep and then................. about a 6lb 22" approx Large mouth Bass. Yes, you read it right! I was pulling the trebles out when something dawned on me, theres no stripes and its green and my hand fits in its mouth a little too easy!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does that fish look so much like a walleye?
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice walleye Wade!
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never xaught a walleye but do they have huge mouthe like a large mouth bass? Maybe its the picture because 2 other guys said the same exact thing but it had no teeth. Sea Duck recognized it as a large mouth also but it was dark out and we were trying to get a quick pick and release it.

Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say that's a walleye.
wish I could see the head.
That thing is a beast !!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one heck of a walleye, Wade! You're lucky you had a glove on! Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom of its tail has a little white on it, that's what tipped it off for me.
Jayman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys kill me..... Go out and drop some serious coin on a fancy reel , but don't know how to properly identify a species that is very popular among anglers Rolling Eyes smfh
Sea Duck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert Wade. That fish was fat fat ,fat and you did have your hand down its throat. but from the pics of both I went through just now, the length of the dorsal fin is pretty much a clincher. It was a walleye.

I released a weakfish a couple of years ago. It dawned on me what it was about three minutes after.

Perhaps you can lip a nice bluefish for us this summer too!

Oh... and REALLY!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure I saw both of you guys heading out just as I was heading in. That's a monster of a walleye, nice !!
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowhunter095 wrote:
The bottom of its tail has a little white on it, that's what tipped it off for me.

Ditto. The anal fin, too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im certainly no expert and dont fish fresh water. I was just in a tackle store that had a wall mount walleye and unless that walleye forgot to put its dentures in there is no way in hell it was a walleye!!!! The fish I xsyght last night had no teeth. As for jayman......... I target 2 fish species only and dont study fish identity books and it was what I said it was or my fingers would say otherwise. The walleye that was mounted wasnt even as big as the fish I caught last night and those teeth were huge!

PECo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
Im certainly no expert and dont fish fresh water. I was just in a tackle store that had a wall mount walleye and unless that walleye forgot to put its dentures in there is no way in hell it was a walleye!!!! The fish I xsyght last night had no teeth. As for jayman......... I target 2 fish species only and dont study fish identity books and it was what I said it was or my fingers would say otherwise. The walleye that was mounted wasnt even as big as the fish I caught last night and those teeth were huge!

Maybe someone released a zander.
Quote:
The zander (Stizostedion lucioperca) also known as the Pike-perch is the largest member of the Perch family (Percidae). the Zander is not a pike/perch hybrid, but is a separate species. Well I'm not going to boor you with the long old story about some old guy ho brought them over from Europe and put them in a lake at the Abby and then there was a flood and they got into are water ways. They come from Europe where they can go 30lb but are UK record is 19.5lb but any zander over 6lb is a good fish and anything over 10lb+ is a specimen. The Zander grow a bit bigger than there cousins the Walleye. I have been told by people that have fished for walleye and zander that they look, smell and taste the same and the only difference is the Zander has a white tip to the bottom of its tail. It is a great fish to hunt and can be a real challenge. http://www.jims-pikeing.freehomepage.com/zander-my.htm

Or the walleye's dentures fell out? Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And by the way, yes I have an expensive reel. Ive had cheaper 1's and I just dont make the time to rip them apart as after 3 weeks every reel (5 different) squealed due to water intrusion. As for everything else I own its pretty much the cheapest stuff $35 plug bag, 115 rod, 199 waders. Most of that cheaper stuff has a very good warranty and thats what matters to me.

PECo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reel is a fine piece of art! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: