CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: How Much Longer? What do we Need? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: How Much Longer? What do we Need? Reply with quote

I see the date is now February 20, 2013. Many, including I, are getting cabin fever and bass and striper fever. We don't even mind if it's panfish.

How much longer would you say it'll be till smaller ponds south of 84 in FFLD and HVN Counties start to thaw?

I looked at the extended forecast for my local area and temps are supposed to rise back into the mid 40s later this week with a combination of rain, snow, and sleet from the storm currently hitting the Plains. Winds are supposed to not get too strong again also. Overnight lows are supposed to stay in the 20s and lower 30s.

Other than the rain, moisture, calmer winds, and warmer temps, what else do we need in order for smaller ponds to start thawing? Will it finally be that time within a week after March starts?
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

Have been hoping to get in 1 smelt fishing trip up in Massachusetts, but some friends I go with, up there, say the 2 lakes we normaly go to are real funky !

Mother Nature again hasn't been very kind to us ice fishermen for another season !

One way or another .........

By the weekend before I head South !

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im thinking by march first a good amount of the smaller lakes and ponds with be open and may have a little of skim on them. I wanna get out on squantz and troll for some trout and walleye.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping today's, tomorrow's, and this coming week's rain and temps will get rid of lots of snow and do away with ice on smaller ponds.

Can't wait to start throwing Rapalas again at my usual ice out pond and the golf course and hit those perch, bullgills, and bass at the private pond. Plan on doing some March trout fishing at the Mill River TMA too.

COME ON SPRING!!!!!!! Mad
JimiChanga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this cold weather crap is for the birds!

The Middlebank II & the Snowgoose 2 are starting to sail in April so that's encouraging for me anyways...

John.
angry john

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rivers are not iced out. I was fishing the upper thames on friday. The issue is that its so cold that you will have to drop it in there mouth and push up there jaw to draw any interest. It will be a while before any quality fishing happens. Its killing me, and i am going broke from all the cool junk i am buying.
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

angry john wrote:
the rivers are not iced out. I was fishing the upper thames on friday. The issue is that its so cold that you will have to drop it in there mouth and push up there jaw to draw any interest. It will be a while before any quality fishing happens. Its killing me, and i am going broke from all the cool junk i am buying.

My usual ice out pond in Trumbull warms up quickly and I usually get into the bass and bluegills there in no time whether it be soft plastics or jerkbaits.

Bass, jumbo perch, and bullgills wake up quickly at the private lake too.
hila2006

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya all guys, I've been itching since ice in LOL. I've been looking a damn 100' by 50' open water spot here on Beseck for 2 weeks. It just won't get any bigger Mad Soon..............
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping an eye on the big rainmaker heading our way. I'm starting to think that this system might be a repeat of the late February or early March system that got rid of lots of snow and ice in 2011. I remember seeing the Pequonnock River rushing like crazy with water almost up to Glenwood Ave.
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold in there guyz the robins are singing at sunrise spring is close! Very Happy

At least ive got my boat work and the river trips to the Housatonic River with Phil to keep my fishing junkie happy and spending in check. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWDarkcloud wrote:
Hold in there guyz the robins are singing at sunrise spring is close! Very Happy

At least ive got my boat work and the river trips to the Housatonic River with Phil to keep my fishing junkie happy and spending in check. Wink

I've been hearing those chickadees for about a week now! Very Happy
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to get out today and do some scouting and a bit of fishing. The farthest north I made it was Unity Park in Trumbull and the funeral home on White Plains Rd.

Saw the pond at the funeral home had very skim ice covering most of it. The only areas with no ice were where the brook feeds into and out of it.

Also checked on the ponds at Unity Park. The shallow marshy pond that has the brook coming from the funeral home feeding through it had very skim ice and was about 1/3 covered.

Did some casting with a hot mustard muddler X-Rap XR-4 in the open water area of the funeral home but didn't see anything.

I can tell from how skim the ice was and the areas where the brook feeds in and out being open that this big rainmaker followed by sunny skies with temps in the 40s will get rid of the ice!!!!!! Very Happy
SaltyVeins

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit a local pond today with a friend that is ice free on the edges and had some good action with sunnies and even a ~1lb bass. Nothing too exciting but they were actually the first fish I have caught all month. Chance to use up the rest of the ice fishing bait too.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today while I was at the ice out pond, I heard good signs! A few chickadees were singing. Last time I was at that same pond I didn't hear any chickadees and those birds and titmice I see many of there when it warms up.

As for more warmer weather, I have a feeling that this next storm system is the one I was thinking about and what we've been waiting for. I was thinking that it would take a late February or early March Nor'easter to finally bring warmer temps behind it and stay warm, kinda like what Sandy did with the colder temps.
flippy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael another thing to consider are longer days,, even though its below freezing at night, its above freezing by 9am and stays that way till around later evening,, it will and has already started to thaw,, ice does not have a chance now,,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: