CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: How to fish a brush hog
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AfternoonFisher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: How to fish a brush hog Reply with quote

So I have this pack of brush hogs in watermelon color. they sit in my tackle box, and I throw them every once in a while. But, for the most part, they just sit there. They sit there because I never catch anything on them. I've pitched them, flipped them, Texas weightless, flopped them across the top of the pads. And caught a whole lot of nothing. The arms on the side don't move at all, and I can't say I'm that impressed with the action it has. It's been a few months since I casted one out because it's a bait I have very little confidence in. But, whenever I hear someone talking up their favorite lures, the Brush Hog is often mentioned. I've been thinking of Carolina Rigging it, but haven't tried yet. Anybody got any tips?
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just have to find the right situation in which to throw them. When I was on Candlewood Lake with mep21 (aka Mark) on 08/19, he caught a bunch of nice bass with a Texas-rigged Green Pumpkin/Red Flake Brush Hog weighted with a 1/8 ounce bullet weight and dragged through submerged weedbeds (aka submergent vegetation in Navionics-speak) in eight to 10 feet of water. Before that day, Mark had always been a Baby Brush Hog guy, because he worried that full-sized Brush Hogs would get fewer bites from smaller, but still keeper-sized, bass. He discovered that even smaller bass will hit a full-sized Brush Hog.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Brush hogs Reply with quote

I use 1/8 oz. bullet weights too, unless it's in real thick cover then go to 1/4 oz. I also cut the bottom (arm) loop from the body of the brush hog so it moves a little more when it's in the water. Hook size matters too, don't go too big, 2 or 3/0 should be good. I have also found dark colors like green pumpkin or motor oil work pretty good.

Hope this helps.

BT
AfternoonFisher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks a ton for the replies. I haven't tried it with a 1/8 oz weight, so I'll give that a try. I did cut the arms once myself, but didn't try it for long, so I'll give it another try. 10 ft weedbeds sounds like a good idea as well. I've mostly pitched to shallow cover and thrown it to the edge of surface vegetation. I'm headed out tomorrow. Don't know if I'll get around to fishing the brush hog where I'm going but if I do I'll leave a follow up. I do have the hooks and weights you recommended, so I'll be prepared to try your recommendations the next time I tie the Brush Hog on.
Sorts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Rigging tips Reply with quote

One important thing about rigging a brush hog is that the bait has a dorsal (back) and ventral (belly) side. With the dorsal facing upwards, the hog's paddles open up. You want to send the hook through the ventral side with the point coming out of the dorsal side.

This is how you want the bait to look with the paddles opening. Most of the weight of the hook is on the ventral side of the bait keeping it in the position under water.

This is how the bait looks when it's rigged dorsal side down. You don't want those paddles closed. It will kill the action.

I've had some great days with brush hogs. I like to use a baby brush hog with a 3/0 hook and a 1/16 oz pegged bullet weight. Watermelon and pumpkinseed are my favorite. Good luck!
gotthatBOOYAH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love brush hogs...i use them all the time...the other day i went out to a small pond next to my house with my friend and he said they were having luck with his pond magic spinners...i just used the same color he was in a hog, way easier to fish in thick weeds...i took two casts and got two bass, both great size for the pond...fish around me love them...if you ever go to mudge pond, i've caught so many bass there with them...
kjud29

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like em in the spring when the crayfish are in
nories

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/2oz and larger weight..pegged..pitch..flip..drag..even Carolina rig
x182dan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many ways to rig these that there is no right or wrong way. I love pitching them in the nasty weeds. I will go up to 1.5oz bullet weight when pitching in the thick weeds. Really works well and its pretty weedless when texas rigged. I love pulling them out of the slop!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: