CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: Humphrey's Grille & Bar in Wethersfield / Silas Dean Hgw
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slimecoat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Humphrey's Grille & Bar in Wethersfield / Silas Dean Hgw Reply with quote

I tried a new restaurant this saturday for lunch while out shopping with the wife and my 5 year old. The owner told us it has been open for about 6 months, and they are making ends meet, but not making any money so to speak. Business has beeen slow I guess, maybe the economy. I'm not sure why?

The atmosphere was a little dry with an intentional rough look inside, and they need some sun blocking shades or a film on the windows to block the sun, but otherwise the place was fine. The food was unbelieveable, and more than made up for the lack of luster inside. We both had sandwiches from the lunch menu, and our little guy had a hotdog. The footlong hot dog was a surprise to Mr "my eye's are always bigger then my stomach", and came with chips but you could substitute fries if you so choose. We ended up taking half it home for his supper.

Our sandwiches were huge, hot, and absolutely delicious. She had the overstuffed rueben on her choice of 5 different breads, with fries for $8.99, and she had to take half of it home with her. I chose the "Marrianna's Revenge", which is a 10 oz. boneless chicken breast sandwich with 2 slices of ham, melted provolone cheese, and smothered in just the right amount of homemade honey mustard sause on my choice of 5 different kinds of bread. It also came with fries for &8.99. The bread was fresh and monsterous in size, and the chicken breast and cheese hung outside the bun like my belly hangs over my belt. Speaking of my belly, I ate the whole thing, no doggie bag needed for me. The "skin on steak fries", were done perfectly and there were plenty of them.

The waitress was friendly, kept the drinks full, and the food came out quickly. The entire bill for the 3 of us with food, drinks -not cocktails, was $30 and change plus tip, well worth it for the size and tastiness of the portions. We will be going back for St. Patricks Day after the parade, for the beer, and corned beef & cabbage special.

I always like to help out the locals especially if they are struggling. The food was great to say the least, we will definately be going back.

Check out Humphrey's in Wethersfield on the silas Dean Highway, right across from the Marshalls plaza on the corner, I think you will be presently surprised.

Maybe we need to start a "Places to dine in CT " Forum...........

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny you mention that Gary,
I tried that place for the first time around the holidays, the burger I had was unbelievable...so good...
Their beer list is not bad, service was really good, overall I had a great experience there.

I hope they stay in business, it seems like every restaurant that goes in that location is out of business in like 6 months....

Either way, good post, I think we need more of this type of post in the General Topics section.
WishinIWasFishin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post, I'll have to check out when I'm down in that neck of the woods...
Old standby push button
MarkO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree that the location there always seems to come up snake eyes. Thanks for the heads up as we are in Rocky Hill and always looking for some place new.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said my wife and I are planning to head over there after the St. Patricks day parade for the corned beef and cabbage special. I hope they are going to have an Irish band, it would definately help to fill the place.

I wonder what the owner is doing for advertising, because I haden't heard of it, and didn't even know it was re opened under a new name and new owner. Does anybody know if it has been in the Advocate?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly i think its just a money laundering front, but i really dont care, the food is good.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PD, The Irish Maffia? Shocked Laughing Laughing

But I agree, I don't care about the atmosphere so much when I go out to eat, I'm there to eat and or drink. So as long as the food is great - I'll keep going back.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been to humphrey's 2 times and the food was horrible. Which was a let down because that place is so close to where I live. Maybe they made some adjustments since I went there but I won't go to any place that gives me 2 bad meals in a row.

Catchers sports bar on Silas Dean HWY has great pizza and Sapparo for Sushi.

Justin
slimecoat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass Addict, How long ago were you there ? What did you order there that you didn't care for?

Maybe they changed cooks orsomething since you were there? or PD and I got lucky with what we ordered.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went right when the opened. I got a steak and cheese the first time. The second time was a burger. I have heard many mixed reviews. I like the bar setup and will definitely go there for beers in the summer. They have a nice patio outside that connects to the bar. The side of the bar the connects to the patio can be opened up so it feels like you are outside. That is where I think they will get their draw. Outside seating is rare around wethersfield.

That location is cursed. It seems like no matter what goes in there, it goes out of business in a year or so.

Justin
pdcrack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass Addict wrote:

That location is cursed. It seems like no matter what goes in there, it goes out of business in a year or so.

Yep.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went there for lunch today along with a friend and my son. We got a Reuben, a veggie burger & a buffalo chicken sandwich. Everything was great and the portions were very big for the price. Each sandwich came with your choice of steak-fries, chips, potato salad, cole slaw, rice or even a baked potato. I absolutely recommend it,..but definitely go when you're hungry!! Wink
slimecoat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly how I felt Mark. They must have not had their shit together when they first opened Bass addict. I think we talked my sister in law into having my brother in laws birthday dinner there next week, only a half dozen of us going, but it should be fun.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to check that place out. I've been to the last 3 or 4 places that have been in there but I stop going because they always seem like they only last 6mo to a year and they are gone. (Like everyone else has said)

I work right down the street and lately I've been going to Wood N Tap but that place can be a little pricey. Thanks for the info Slimecoat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: