CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: I am officially a boater again:) Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: I am officially a boater again:) Reply with quote

I bought a 1993 Bass Tracker on Saturday. It is a 14' D-V. I got a good deal on it and couldn't pass it up. My birthday and xmas are comming up so I got the wife to give me my presents early. The previous owner kept it in great shape so I don't have much to do before I can fish.I hoping to register the boat and trailer this week. Then, all I have to do is buy a depth finder, battery and an outboard then I am good to go.

I haven't owned a boat in 6 years so I am psyched to be able to fish when I want. I have a feeling the wife is going to be a fishing widow next spring, summer and fall. Very Happy Here are some pictures - hopefull this works. She a little dirty but thats how I like my boats and my woman Razz

I am looking for an outboard between 15 and 25 HP - let me know if you guys got one for sale or know someone looking to sell. I am not sure if I need a short or long shaft, how do I tell?

Happy Thanksgiving to all and your families Laughing Eats lots of turkey Laughing

Justin
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass Addict, congrats on your new boat. I believe in order to determine the shaft length is to measure your stern plate height (where the motor mounts) because that will determine what shaft length motor to use. Ideally you would want the motor prop at ~15" below the lowest point of your boat to avoid cavitation when on plane. A long shaft is 20" and the short is 15". Easiest thing to do would be to call a dealer who sells that model boat or similar and ask them. Also the first thing I would do before using your new boat would be to put in a carpeted floor so as not to spook the fish. You would be amazed at how much noise is transmitted by moving about or moving something in an aluminum boat with a bare floor. Just dropping a lure onto the aluminum floor makes alot of noise so that is something to think about. Good luck with her.
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info Jim. I plan on putting some sort of wood platform on the floor with carpet on the top. It makes it more comfortable on the ankles.

Justin
ploplopfizzfizz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are interested,I am pretty sure my brother still has it.
A 25 Hp merc Long shaft with 1 hour on it.I think he paid 2700 for it.
Send Quint`s Revenge a Private tell if you are interested , not sure what he would sell it 4.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man, a 25hp would make my boat go like a hundred:) Thanks plop.

What do you guys think of using rino liner in the boat? Do you think it would help with sound absorption?

Justin
Just4fun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats,...a little boat like that can provide a ton of fishing fun!!

I fished for years out of one that wasn't as nice as yours! You should make yourself some kind of flat deck to stand on in the bow of the boat. Don't make it too high though or it'll be too unstable for comfortable fishing! I made one in my old boat out of that plastic-wood for decking! No rotting,..no painitng and it has a non-slip surface on it already! Wink

ps: You will also need a trolling motor mounted in the bow! I just had a cheap hand-operated one on mine and it worked fine,..but you defintiely need one for bass fishing!
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass,

Congrats on the new boat. That's simular to the boat I started with..

If you end up doing the floor with wood let me know I have a way of getting you some Anti-slip coating that is real strong.

I have in on my jon boat and it works nice. I also have a pedestal and padded seat if you want it? I took if off the jon boat.

Let me know, I’m around the corner from you in Newington.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skeeter, I will take you up on that once I get it registered. I have some thoughts on the floor but not sure what the best way to go about it. I am good at fixing computers but carpentry is definitely not a strong point.

Justin
Nickp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a bow mount for ya justin. Pm me about the motorguide on my little boat.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass Addict, Rhino lining is a good product for anti slip, and to seal out water from leaky rivots. But if you are looking for a sound absorbtion product, nothing beats a good piece of marine grade carpet glued to a (cut to fit) slab of marine grade 3/4 inch plywood. Oh yeah, the glue needs to be marine grade as well.

I put together my 16 foot alumacraft bass boat the same way, when I bought her, she was an empty hull with stringers only, and a steering console. I have a foot controlled trolling motor on the bow, an big aerated livewell below the deck, a rod locker that holds 10 rods, under deck storage compartments, on board charger, bilge pump, under seat cooler, a 40HP evinrude with trim and tilt, and all the proper safety equiptment. That was 5 years ago, and she still fishes well, looks great, and is tournament ready. I am in Newington as well, and you are welcome to come look at my setup anytime, although she is now covered up for the off season. Good luck with your new craft.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanks for the advice Slimecoat and I will also take you up your offer. I want to make a nice stable platform with storage underneath but I have no clue what the best way to go about it would be. I definitely want a bow mount trolling motor with pedestal seating. I am not sure what my limitations are.

I have a 47lb thrust trolling motor with less than 8 hours on that has been sitting in my basement for 6 years. It is an Mini Kota Endura. Unfortunetly it is a transom mount only so I may sell it and put it to a bow mount with foot pedal.

I will be spending some money over the winter. I need to get an anchor, bow mount trolling motor, depth finder, battery, pedestal seats, flotation devices, gas motor, gas tank, deck making material, sound absorption material and probably more. It is gonna be an expensive winter Surprised

Justin
Just4fun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken,..the handle on those Endura TM's can be reversed (spun around 180 degrees) so that you could mount it on the bow as long as you by or build a simple bracket to clamp it to there!
On my old boat I just made a simple "L" shape out of pressure treated 2x6 lumber that worked fine! You just bolt it to the bow then clamp your motor onto the part of the "L" that sticks up! Very Happy
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, how would I spin it? is there a nut on the bottom of the head that can be loosened so I can rotate it? I know that the manual stats transom mount motor so I didn't think I could spin it. If I can then that would be awesome, one less thing to buy. Although I eventually would want a nice bow mount with a foot control - it makes angling so much easier.

Justin
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass Addict, there are 2 screws on the bottom of the head assembly. As Mark stated all you do is take out the screws then turn the whole head assembly around 180° and then put the screws back in and now you have a bow mount, very easy to do. Just make sure you don't cinch any of the wires when putting it back together. Bass Pro Shops / Cabelas even sells handle extensions to make the reach of the control handle longer so that you don't have to reach so far if your seat location is a little further back from the handle than you would like. Makes it little easier to use your existing trolling motor until you get your foot controlled model. Good luck with the modifications.
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it.

Justin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: