CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: I have a new respect for kayak fishing on the CT River
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: I have a new respect for kayak fishing on the CT River Reply with quote

Hello all.

I just wanted to say Thank You to Asianfisher for meeting up with me and bringing along his extra kayak so I could try and kayak fish for my first time.

Now if you haven’t been kayaking before, let me tell you, it is not easy...
I figured it would be difficult, but man was I in for a surprise. Let’s just say I have a new respect for guys that can kayak fish the CT River and bring in those hard fighting stripers.

We met up Saturday morning at 6:30am at the CT DEP dock. We got into the kayaks and on our way about 7am. The sky was cloudy but the water was calm, with no wind or waves. We were paddling out to just past the dock into the flats. Everything was going fine and I felt I was actually doing well. I had figured out my center of gravity/balance and was gaining a little bit of confidence. I could feel the workout (burn) in my back and shoulders as we were paddling.

When we got to the flats we began fishing about 50 yards from some guys fishing in a bass boat. We began casting out top water plugs. These plus felt like they weighed a pound. Billy showed me how to work the lure. After about 10 casts I could feel the burn in my shoulder from all the twitching and pulling of the plug.

We would cast 10-15 times and then paddle about 25 yards and do it again.
Well the wind began to pick up and this made the water start to get wavy. The kayak was rocking back and forth and drifting. The choppy water made it almost impossible to see any stripers breaking water.

Just as I thought I started to get the hang of all of this, the next thing I know was I was in the drink. Luckily we were only in about 3-4 feet of water. I am not even sure how it happened. One minute I was casting and the next minute I was holding on to a capsized kayak and looking for my gear and flip flops. I was smart enough to make a leash for the paddle and also the brand new rod I was using. I don’t know if I just lost my balance or if a rouge wave hit me (lol more like the wake of a boat).

Billy paddled over to me and helped me collect my gear and I walked the kayak over to the grassy shore. Billy helped me get the water filled kayak out of the water and turned over to let the water out. Not an easy task I might add. I loaded the kayak back up with my gear and got back in it with Billy’s assistance. How you guys do this while in the water I haven’t a clue especially with all your gear.

I wish I could end this story by telling you we caught some stripers, but I can’t. The water was choppy and dirty and will all of my swim time (yes I went in one more time), we did not paddle away with any fish caught.

I do have to defend myself a little here and say that the kayak was probably too small for a guy my size and the 3 inch large drain hole in the top back of the kayak that kept taking on water did not help the situation by filling up the kayak.

Through all of this though, Asianfisher a.k.a. Billy, kept a smile on his face and was very helpful and patient. I thank you for that Bro...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: LOL! Reply with quote

RobO

I've never dumped completely, but I have tipped a gallon or two into my kayak a couple of times, so I feel for you. I guess that Gore Tex pants or waders wouldn't have helped you on Saturday! Surprised

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Peco I have never fully flipped over in maybe 100 outings in my kayak/canoe, I did however take a few gallons of water once while transitioning from standing up to sitting. A year or two ago when I used to paddle the deerfield river I witnessed my friends tip over quit a few times in various yaks. I tried turtlekiss's little SOT kayak and almost flipped it within seconds, I was maybe 5lbs over the weight limit and ended up getting soaked from the scupper holes filling. And I totally agree with heavyness of water filled kayak, my buddys loon 120 felt like it weighed 1000lbs when we tried to empty it out.

Sorry to hear you guys got skunked, but don't let this experience turn you off of kayaks. Once you get the right boat they can be very rewarding to paddle and fish out of, and you don't have to break the bank either. You can find and rig out a decent kayak for less than $500 if you shop right.
asianfisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear that... And Rob was a bad morning for me too as you know... LMAO yea guys i lost a kayak off the roof on the way to CTR. Luckily no one was behind me... Amongst everything glad to know i tried and you tried and we met up so all in all id do it again. I havent fell in my kayaks i got 5 of them 2 river kayaks and 3 bigger ones. I did out of a sit on top one in New Hampshire in march in a river which sucked ass. Anyways redeemed myself from the CTR later that night and was gonna go back down to Derby sunday but heard no one at all was catching anything. The carp are in there really heavy which alot of people are getting those confused with stripers ...
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report Rob. Too bad about not catching but it sounded like you had a good time. Very Happy I think once you get a yak properly sized to your weight things will get easier. Good thing you guys were not 1-2 miles offshore like some of the yakkers do.
mustang11

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey the important part is the practice not so much the mistakes. Still sounds like a good trip and hopefully you'll be ready for next time when there are fish around.

Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: