CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: I have a question for Bass fisherman
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dozer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: I have a question for Bass fisherman Reply with quote

Why is it in the summer I go to my local pond and catch a ton of Bass perch blue gill and sunnies and not that the ice is off the pond I went to the pond and there is nothing it seems like the lake is void of all life. I know it isn't but what are the fish doing that are there. What do you do to catch them is they are even active?
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dozer, the reason it seems like the lake is lifeless is that fish's metabolism (activity level) is in relation to the bodies of water temperature they are in. When the water is still extremely cold mid 30's to below 50°F the fish are kind of in a lethargic mood meaning they won't go after things like they normally do in the summer. As the water temps increase they will start getting active again. This doesn't mean you can't get them to bite now but it does mean you may have to slow down your presentation a little and maybe hit them over the head with your bait.
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont feel bad, im having the same problem. Ive got a few hours in at the local pond and have yet to get even a sniff. Just spent a few minutes down there and still nothing.

I figure atleast a bluegill pulling my senko around or something ........

NOTHING !!!!!!

I might try throwing something other than a senko soon !!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: . . Reply with quote

Think of it this way dozer, when you go to that pond this time of year, how much other wildlife/nature activity do you observe? Are there birds chirping and flying around all over the place, are there bugs out, leaves on the trees, flowers in bloom? Just like all those terrestrial things, the fish aren't in their spring/warm water mode just yet. Not until next month when the water approaches 50 and the moon phases are right, will the bite be consistent. Don't let that discourage you though, fish are there for the taking this time of year. I basically look at anything this time of year as a bonus if I catch anything.
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it still makes no sense!!!

Slow down????????

I cant get any slower. I dead stick my senko for ever. I dont go there expecting to catch anything while im moving the bait, so i dont. I throw it out, dead stick for a while, then move it a little and dead stick it again.

I mean, it would be nice for a little sun fish to atleast take a taste of the thing or something.

And by the ways, the ducks are active

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: . . . Reply with quote

Ducks are wacky . . . Are you using a 5 in senko? Maybe downsize a little? I usually only catch fish on 3 different things until the water starts warming up: a suspending jerkbait, a hair jig and a grub on a jig-head. And I fish them slow (with the jerkbait, it's all about the pauses). If there's a lot of wind, I might throw a rattletrap or something like that, but the conditions have to be perfect for that . . .
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes 5 inch. Im fishing fom shore and dont want to lose a 10-15 jerkbait!!!

I need the weight to get any casting distance. But then, i have no idea where the channel is in the pond. I cant throw a grub or anything like that, there are alot of weeds, and even though its winter and most have thinned out, i can still go thru them with the senko.

Another couple/few weeks, im expecting my best for the season to visit me. Last two years in a row, i pulled 6+'s out of there in the spring and it was the best i could do for the seasons.

Last years is in my pic Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie and Dozer,

Skeeter Jim has it right, you need to down size your baits, slow down, and switch up your baits until you find what they want, and where they are. Try throwing a 4" shakey head worm, a carolina rig 4" worm, drop shot rig, 1/8 to 1/4 oz. finess jig, finess tube etc.

Also walk around the pond, and try different locations, try the north and west sides first, or the side of the pond out of the wind, it will most likely be the first area to warm up. Try fishing the deepest area early, and as the sun comes up later in the day, fish shallower water, as the fish may move shallower. If you know of visible cover, ie: weed lines, stump fields, or logs, target these area's carefully, make pinpoint cast's, as these fish are as cold as the water they live in, and are not going to go far to chase or eat anything. They still need to eat, so you can still catch them, it just takes time and patience. Hope this helps.

God I can't wait to get out and rip some lips. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so far for ll the info. Another question in reference to this, does color of your presentation matter. It seems the pond wate now that the ice ice off is much clearer than it usually is. Is there a better color choice for winter of clearer water than usual? And as for the Bluegills and sunnies they are still in the pond swimming as well. I would almost think they disappeared from the pond because in spring and summer you can not get a bait tio sink beofre they would steal it. Now I put a worm on a float and nothing for 25 minutes. I almost thought they went into hibernation under the mud or something
slimecoat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dozer,

I believe only the frogs, snakes, and turtles do that hibernation thing. The bluegill are probably all schooled up in the warmest corner of the pond, close to cover, or on some deeper structure or weedbed.

As for color, if the water is very clear, stick with neutral or natural colors, like watermelon, smoke, or green pumpkin. If you have a really dark bottom at this pond, throw darker colored worms, or a black or black/blue finesse jig, as crawfish will change color somewhat to blend in with their surroundings. Good luck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive caught some of my biggest fish in spring on cranks.

Is the pond big enough for a canoe? Id come show ya a few things if ya'd like- senko is fine this time of year, I know of two people catching fish on them fishing like you would in summer. Cover water to find um.
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mondo is off limits for boats/canoes. But i can play stupid, pretty easily Smile

Actualy, i wanna get a canoe in there for some night fishing durring summer. Just cant use any lights. There are some condo's that have views of the pond

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my kayak in there a few years ago, not knowing I couldn't go in there. DEP was there in about 10 minutes...be careful.
Nickp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good rookie- with those 6's, im sure theres some pigs in there.

I excel at night fishing Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: