CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » New Member Section
Viewing Topic: I want to get into fishing, again... It's been a long time.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FishingBrian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: I want to get into fishing, again... It's been a long time. Reply with quote

I used to fish when I was younger (around 10), and I've since gotten out of it. However, I'm looking for a hobby to get back into that is enjoyable, gets me out of the house and doesn't have to break the bank, and I have no idea why fishing hasn't popped into my head earlier.

I'm currently located in the Hartford area, so I would fish surrounding waters. However, it appears my girlfriend will be landing a job in Groton, so I have saltwater that I will be able to fish, too, which is what I've always preferred.

As mentioned, it's been a real long time since I've fished, so I might as well be new.

I'll start by fishing from shore to see if I like it as much as I used to. If it sticks, a couple seasons from now I'll probably get a kayak.

I've always preferred fishing saltwater over freshwater, and rivers over lakes. I've never fished streams. Growing up, I fished for stripers, blues, cod, bass (small & large), pike, muskies, walleye, and anything else you can catch in upstate NY. I've always avoided bluegills and sunfish, as they weren't fun for me.

Where do I start?
What kind of pole?
Reel?
Equipment?
Lures?

In an ideal world, I would keep most (if not all) of my equipment in my car so I can do it as I want, as I do a lot of driving between my girlfriend and myself.

I'm overwhelmed by all of this, and truly am clueless as to where to start.

Any help would seriously be appreciated.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey. Welcome. If you want to get back into fishing and really prefer salt, get yourself something that can handle the blues and schoolies that will be up into the harbors, as well as maybe chunk on the CT River for catfish, etc. Seems like your not as interested in the smaller freshwater. Something around 8' can sling a little lead for chunking as well as lures. As for setups, that kinda depends what you want to start out spending. You can get an Ugly Stick 8' combo for $60 that will catch fish, though the reel will crap out long before the rod. The prices go up from there. There's a good deal of shore access around Groton. As for basic equipment, the easiest way to go is chunking. Just some bank sinkers, leader material (steel leaders for blues), swivels, hooks. You can build lure collections over time. Don't go crazy buying everything in site. You'll learn what guys are catching on.

http://www.onthewater.com/three-surf-rigs-every-surfcaster-should-know-about/

Feel free to pm me, or you can get ahold of me through https://www.facebook.com/TheRedneckangler/

Tight Lines!
Brian
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> New Member Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: