CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing
Viewing Topic: Ice Fishing for Trout Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Ice Fishing for Trout Reply with quote

I'm thinking of ice fishing specifically for trout. The best tasting trout I've had in Connecticut was a little 11 inch rainbow that I got through the ice at Black Pond in Meriden a couple of years ago, while jigging a fluorescent micro jig baited with a waxworm within 12 inches of the bottom without any weight on the line. I plan to try that, again, but does anyone have any tips and techniques for catching trout through the ice?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question I would really like to know myself. To try at Huntington State Park.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that trout will hunt and cruise just below the ice, one technique is a nightcrawler a foot or so below the ice on a tip up. they like the cold clear water.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Trout are roamers + (sight feeders).

They can be found just under the ice, on the bottom, and everywhere in between.
Sometimes you'll luck out and find a group cruising the same depth as they do compete with each other for available food.

I found chumming for trout to be very helpful and will draw them in.
I use frozen ice cubes of pureed corn in an old onion bag with a rock in it for weight and set it at a depth I feel they'll be at.
The corn ice cubes melt slowly and the scent spreads out at that depth.

I use various jigs (baited with whatever) of different colors on snap hooks (easy off and on) till I find a color they happen to be favoring a particular day.
Also I send the jig down to just off the bottom and jiggle it -> let it sit for 5 seconds -> If no take I pull it up a foot and repeat the process till I get just below the ice -> Then send it down and start all over again.
This technique seems to work well for Yellow Perch also.
For Perch though I use a "Smackin Jack" or "Slab-Grabber" jig in smallest size.

One last method is to drop-shot with a rig with 2-3 red #6 hook baited with a smelt -> Bacon anyone ! Razz

Stay Safe - Have Fun,
SeaDog1 Mr. Green
nicklovesPK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has their own technique. I like power bait meal worm combo on tipups for freshly stocked trout usually near shorlines. Works real good at lakes such as west hill or crystal in ellington. At lakes like colebrook and hogback smelt or shiners on tip ups right under the ice works well. I allways tried the 10,15,20,30 feet depths but found i caught the most browns right under the ice some nice ones to over the years.
icefishingnewbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My techniques
jigging- jig a small size 10-16 custom jigs and spins diamond jigs i like bumbelee,orange tiger,and fire tiger. Tip them with wax worms or spikes. this will work for rainbows browns and brookies, but i prefer spoons like a slender spoon or a swedish pimple for browns.

Tip ups- For browns i fish 15-40 feet of water with a medium or small shiner about 1-5 feet off the bottom. For rainbows they tipically cruise in 5-18 feet of water and i would set a nightcrawler just under the ice for rainbows.

leaders- use about 3-6 feet of 6lb flouro or mono and use a size 10-12 red treble hook.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. Although I'd probably set some tip-ups if I were fishing with someone else, I'd prefer to just jig if I were by myself.

I'll probably give Colebrook River Reservoir a shot when the cold and wind conditions improve. I could definitely see jigging for smelt and then setting some tip-ups for trout baited with smelt if I were to get some. In the meantime, I'm planning to just jig for largemouth bass in my favorite bass hole, soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop talking about your bass hole!

The only trout I ever caught ice fishing was on a tip up with a leader and tiny hooks with very small shiners.

It was delicious...
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just at Colebrook this morning. -6 degrees when I got there this morning with 15 mph winds. Tried night crawlers on tip ups and jigging with spikes for smelt. Didn't get anything. Talked to the owner of a bait shop and he said guys are marking huge schools smelt near the northern part of the lake but they aren't biting. He believes it had something to do with the full moon we just had and thinks the bite with turn on soon. Also stopped by west hill and saw four guys out there.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowhunter095 wrote:
I was just at Colebrook this morning. -6 degrees when I got there this morning with 15 mph winds. Tried night crawlers on tip ups and jigging with spikes for smelt. Didn't get anything. Talked to the owner of a bait shop and he said guys are marking huge schools smelt near the northern part of the lake but they aren't biting. He believes it had something to do with the full moon we just had and thinks the bite with turn on soon. Also stopped by west hill and saw four guys out there.

Hey, thanks for the report. I'm too old for -6 degrees and 15 miles per hour, though. Laughing I'll get out there when the air temperature is over 20 degrees and the wind is less than 10 miles per hour. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely learned my lesson today. Wait for the nice days to go ice fishing so you can actually fish instead of sit by a fire. I will be back there though! So I can actually fish the way I wanted to.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowhunter095 wrote:
I definitely learned my lesson today. Wait for the nice days to go ice fishing so you can actually fish instead of sit by a fire. I will be back there though! So I can actually fish the way I wanted to.

Hi BH,

Was that you I saw being tote south on Rt.8 ?

I stayed home today -> My only problem is .......

Damn...The Missus has cold feet ! Shocked

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was near a black pickup then yup that was me! Look what I found down near the water.

PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a bobcat?!?! Was it dead and frozen?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, it was dead and frozen right in the middle of the path going down to colebrook.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: