CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: ice shelter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hookt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: ice shelter Reply with quote

i was thinking of getting a shelter for those breezy days. somehow cant seem to justify the cost verses the amount of use i would get out of it. can anyone shead some light on this? do you have one? wish you had one? or just sorry you ever bought one. appriciate any feed back.
Fish On!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at them as well and having the same thoughts. I don't understand why most of them have a lack of windows. I want to be able to see my tilts easily and jigging at the same time. Maybe I'm crazy and that's not what their meant for Confused
hookt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey fish-on, i think the reason we do this hardwater fishing is not only do we really enjoy fishing but we're not penned up in the house. the outdoors is what we seek but somedays are just a test of how bad we want to be out there. sooo, the shelter sounds like the ticket! the one thing in my research i did find out was buy one bigger than you think you need so you your buddy(s) and some gear could fit comfortably. good luck with this and let me know what you decide. Cool
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

How about a wind break type shelter with a 2 man bench!
One side is wide open!
Then you can watch your traps and jig at the same time!

SeaDog1
fishinschmoe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never owned one, but have used em. To me, around here, not worth the hassle. If you gotta get out of the wicked wind or sudden sleet storm or something, ok. but to drag it out there, spike it in, and set it up, not worth the trouble, and unless it is wood, carted out behind a snowmobile, and is heated, all you have is a tiny dome tent amidst the rest of your crap out there.
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the 2 man one and get ready for some stories. I can't remember who it is made by but its pretty light and I usualy carry it on my back like a back pack. Sets up no problem WITH NO WIND! With wind you end up with a huge kite Mad. It has its advantages it keeps you warm, my father always falls asleep so I fish 12 tip ups and get his flags until he wakes up Laughing. Disadvantages like I said its like a kite in wind and really can't see your traps to well out the plastic windows. The only time I really appreciated it was when my and my father fished Bantam lake on a day that was supposed to by 5 to 10 mile winds. Well in north cove in front of Point Folly the wind was 40 to 50 miles and hour. The wind was blowing so bad that me and my father had to sit on the sides of the tent as a brace so it didn't cave in on us. Also the plastic windows are not really sealed well so the wind will come howling through and when its blowing hard it sounds like a really high pitch whistle which is always fun to listen to for 6 hours Shocked . Its worth it if you fish hardcore like me in all weather but if you fish only good days then I would save my money for gasoline and fish places in New York or Mass where its cheaper to fish with an out of state licenses than it is to fish in CT! Just my .02 cents.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BT!

Wish you hadn't brought up THAT SUBJECT Exclamation
!@#$%^& Politicians doubled our hunting and fishing Lic. fees here in Ct.
Just got my combo Lic. today less the saltwater Lic. and it went up from $28.00 for the year to $56.00.
Worst of all -> All the money goes into the General Fund!

SeaDog1
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup half of my Christmas money went to buy the combo $56. I'll have to collect some cans now to buy fishing line for this year Crying or Very sad
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the reason they lack windows is that the plastic becomes vary brittle in the cold and they would crack/breakdown quick when the temps gets low. I have seen plastic boat windows shatter in high winds with cold temps.

You could buy a cheap dome tent with a plastic foot print from walmart. Get one with a vestibule so you can sit it an watch your tipups. Make sure the tips ups are in front of you so you have a clear sight of them.

Justin
fishinschmoe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont even get me started on the cost of license in CT... Good Lord! I just bought all mine, and it costs me more to fish and hunt in CT, than it does in NH as a non-resident!! Im up to about $160, and haven't bought my deer tags yet!! Its rediculous. Lets throw in the no-hunting on Sunday rule despite the double in fees.
slimtempo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: ice shelter Reply with quote

I'm in the process of developing one that is transportable and has huge windows. I use the poly clear glass that we use on boats, .040 thick. They may become brittle, but I can replace them every year.
www.thecanvasking.com
hookt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slimtempo that sounds pretty cool. are you using a tent as a base or goin from scratch?
Fish On!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might take my views of boat ownership and apply it to owning an ice shelter, not to own one yourself but have a friend that does
JiggyWithIt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: BlueGill Reply with quote

Hate to keep this going but NY non-resident was 40 last season this season is now 70 most states have near doubled this year on licenses. But at least most other states have stocking programs they can brag about!!! I'll buy one no matter what the cost in NY. As for a shelter I'd much rather invest in some high end bibs and coat. If it was 50 MPH winds that day "YOU DAH MAN" I'll live to fish another day! Wink Much Success
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: