CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Installing braid on a large spinning reel?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pauleye

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Installing braid on a large spinning reel? Reply with quote

How do you suggest I do it? Do I tie braid directly to the spool, put tape around the spool arbor first, or start with a few wraps of mono?
Sea Duck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many reels are "braid ready" as the spool has some kind of soft backing or the machining done to the spool, such as ridges, to grip the line. Check the manufacturers suggestion, but if in doubt, start with 10 or 15 wraps of mono.
Braided line lasts a long time and some of it is very expensive so as the part that sees the water gets frayed, if sections are lost from breakoffs, etc, you will want to remove the braid, add some backing and reuse what is left in order to keep your spool full to the lip.... eventually you will be adding backer to it anyway so it cannot hurt to start that way unless you insist it be all braid. If you start with 300yd and throw it away if you lose 50 yds, then you can send the remaining 250 to me. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Braid Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll check the spool and use mono as you suggested
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On spinning reels, Shimano makes the following suggestions to prevent braided line slippage on the spool:
Quote:
The solution is to wrap two layers of monofilament spliced to your braided line or wrap 2 layers of masking tape around the spool arbor. This provides grip for the braided line and will prevent line slippage.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with mono and then use the uni to uni knot for the braid.

Check the manufacturers website to see how many yards of mono and braid it holds so you can do some math on how much mono to spool before going with braid.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use electrical tape around my spools and fill with braid and when its time to add more I cut back on the existing and uni to uni some more. After awhile of that Ill flip over the line and add some more braid 7sing the older inner braid on top of the new stuff.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: